Evapo-Rust

/ Evapo-Rust #1  

kf4uda

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TD5030, 861 Ford Powermaster, CaseIH Farmall 35A, 555A Ford Backhoe, S150x SnapperPro ZTR, Polaris Ranger XP800
My Dad passed away about 1 1/2 years ago. A couple of months back I decided that it was finally time to clean and straighten up his workshop. In the process of doing that I have been cleaning up tools. Some of the old tools had rust on them. I had read where some people were having good luck with a product called Evapo-Rust for this purpose. I picked up a gallon of it from TSC and poured it into a 6 quart plastic rectangular container and started soaking tools in it. I have to say I was pleasantly suprised! A product that actually does what it says it will do. It is not the cheapest stuff @ $21 per gallon but at least it actually works. It is also bio-degradable.

The picture below is of two 50/60's era conduit crimping tools. They both were rusted exactly the same. I soaked the smaller set in Evapo=Rust for about 24hrs, pulled them out and wiped them off with a shop towel.

Disclaimer: I have no association with Evapo-Rust, other than now being a believer that it actually works.... And no animals were actually harmed during this demonstration.

Attachments

• Evapo-Rust Test (Large).JPG
    Evapo-Rust Test (Large).JPG
    276 KB · Views: 808
   / Evapo-Rust #3  
Seems it eliminates the rust pretty well. First time I've heard of it. I may have to get some. I still have a few of my father-in-law's tools that are 70+ years old that could use some treatment.

/ Evapo-Rust
Looks great! :cool: Hope you oiled them before putting them away! :thumbsup:

The stuff says it will inhibit rust for a short time but yes I will be oiling everything after de-rusting. I am also going to have to figure out a way of filtering the liquid after use. After treating several items it gets pretty nasty looking. They claim that one gallon de-rusts up to 300 pounds of light to moderately rusted steel. It might do that but it for sure will be nasty without some filtering along the way.

/ Evapo-Rust #5  
I'm glad you posted this as I've been planning on trying it out on my hydraulic valve that rusted over. I've read a lot about it over on a motorcycle forum I'm on and they had good experiences with it as well.
They also sell some sort of rust inhibitor and they had a sale last week (probably still do) for a free container when you buy 2 gallons of evaprust. I didn't know tractor supply had it, that's good to know.
What are you gonna use to oil your tools when your done? PB blaster or something?

/ Evapo-Rust
What are you gonna use to oil your tools when your done? PB blaster or something?

For now I am using Royal Purple Maxfilm. It is kind of pricey to wipe tools with. I also have Conklin Rust Bomb. It is a very good penetrating oil. I just dont care much for the odor it has. I may have to try some PB blaster.

You just got a small amount, run it thru a coffee filter.

That is a great idea. I will give the coffee filters a try...thanks

/ Evapo-Rust #8  
Disclaimer: I have no association with Evapo-Rust, other than now being a believer that it actually works.... And no animals were actually harmed during this demonstration.

Is it any different and/or better than good ol' Naval Jelly?

JayC

/ Evapo-Rust
Is it any different and/or better than good ol' Naval Jelly?

JayC

I don't really know since I have never used Naval Jelly. In the past when de-rusting something I have either used a wire wheel,grinding pad or sandblaster.