Belarus 400 A ignition switch

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch #1  

Bobby R

Silver Member
Tractor
1972 Ford 2000
I recently acquired a 1984 Belarus 400A tractor and have begun a few minor fixes on it. I ran into a problem that I believe to be the ignition switch. The tractor will crank by grounding out at the solenoid, but not with the key ignition. The ignition switch is a 4 pole and I purchased a new universal 4 pole switch to replace it with. My problem is identifying what wires go to where. The old switch is not labled like the new one. With a tester, I found the battery wire, but when I turn the switch to crank position, the other three poles all get power, thereby preventing me from knowing which wire does what. I found the wire that goes to the solenoid, which broke off the fuse box. Rather than pull out the fuse box and re-solder the wire on, would it be safe to just connect it directly to one of the poles on the ignition switch, by-passing the fuse box? I could always put an inline fuse in the wire. A quick fix would also be to install a starter button and not even use the ignition switch except to heat up the glow plug. Which do you think would be best, without a major castrophe repair project?

Last edited:
   / Belarus 400 A ignition switch #2  
got a service manual with a wire diagram?

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch
No, I didn't get a service manual with it and don't know where to find one without ordering it. I decided to just install a push button starter switch with an inline fuse, rather than replace the ignition switch, since the wire going to the solenoid was broken off the fuse box. I guess there's really nothing wrong with the ignition switch anyway, since I found the broken wire.
Thanks, anyway.

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch #4  
not getting one just because you have to buy it is kinda like not changing the oil in your tractor just because you have to buy it....

your call....

soundguy

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch #5  
I recently acquired a 1984 Belarus 400A tractor and have begun a few minor fixes on it. I ran into a problem that I believe to be the ignition switch. The tractor will crank by grounding out at the solenoid, but not with the key ignition. The ignition switch is a 4 pole and I purchased a new universal 4 pole switch to replace it with. My problem is identifying what wires go to where. The old switch is not labled like the new one. With a tester, I found the battery wire, but when I turn the switch to crank position, the other three poles all get power, thereby preventing me from knowing which wire does what. I found the wire that goes to the solenoid, which broke off the fuse box. Rather than pull out the fuse box and re-solder the wire on, would it be safe to just connect it directly to one of the poles on the ignition switch, by-passing the fuse box? I could always put an inline fuse in the wire. A quick fix would also be to install a starter button and not even use the ignition switch except to heat up the glow plug. Which do you think would be best, without a major castrophe repair project?

A very long time ago I owned a Belarus ... there was a disconect between the ignition and the battery to keep the battery from draining. Try to see by close eye if yours has something similar.

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch #6  
Now that I'm thinking about it ... it was on the positive side of the battery cable. The cable ran from the battery to the disconnect then from the disconnect to the ignition. If you did not close the circuit there was no power to the ignition.

Yes there is a battery disconnect on it, but it's on the negative side of the battery. The problem was not the ignition switch, but a broken wire going to the solenoid switch. I've got it going now. Thanks...

For Soundguy...I believe you've misunderstood what I meant. I was trying to remedy my problem immediately, and not have to wait several days for a repair manual to come in the mail. I'm not quiet that tight and I do change my oil on a regular basis. Now that I've got my problem solved, I'll get a manual for it and hopefully I won't need it for several days. I just thought some of you experts might know how the ignition switch was wired from prior experience. Thanks anyway...

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch #9  
your first post doesn't specifically read like that.

perhaps had you included the fact that you just needed an emergency bypass for a couple days, and wanted opinions on doing so withthe broken wire.. you might have got coresponding replies. vs one stating to get a service schematic and to fix it more correctly ( safely ).

soundguy

/ Belarus 400 A ignition switch #10  
Yes there is a battery disconnect on it, but it's on the negative side of the battery. The problem was not the ignition switch, but a broken wire going to the solenoid switch. I've got it going now. Thanks...

Okay I guess the old memory was a little off ... positive/negative .. At least I remembered the disconnect ... glad you got it.