Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #11  
i'd advise against that....

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #12  
You can use a bit of starting fluid but don't if you don't know what you are doing or you'll damage your engine.

Do not use starting fuid on a engine with glow plugs. I use starting fluid on the Cat and Cummins engines at work but they don't have glowplugs.
Bill

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #13  
Ok guys.....the general concencus has me bleeding the system at the point where the fuel line and injector come together......

I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back.......

I will add that there are two bolts directly under the point where the fuel lines leave the pump housing....one of the bolts has a (cap)nut on it.....any ideas what that is? Could it be some form of bleed valve??

Thanks....guys

You didn't say that you bled the filter first. Go back and read my previous post! If you don't get fuel to the filter, your fuel tank strainer is clogged.You have to start at the filter and bleed that, then bleed the pump IF it has a bleed screw. Then you go to the injectors. Cranking the pump when it doesn't have any fuel will get you nowhere.

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #14  
I have 2 suggestions to offer.

First, I think you need to bleed the rubber inlet fuel line at the pump.
In your photo, the braided rubber line hooks to a banjo fitting. There's a hex nut above the fitting. It looks like there's an allen headed screw above the hex nut. (Mine has a second hex head there instead of an allen head.) Loosen the allen screw, let the fuel run until there are no bubbles coming from there. Re-tighten the allen screw.
Try starting then.

If that doesn't work, these tractors have an electric solenoid to cut the fuel off. Make sure that solenoid is working. You can touch the solenoid while you turn the key on and off (don't try and start the engine) and you should be able to feel the solenoid "clicking".

I had trouble with my 1720 once not making good contact from the wire to the solenoid post. Once I corrected that, it started and ran fine.

Hope this helps.

Mark

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720
If at first you dont succeed....READ the manual!!!

Yes there is a bleed screw....it sits on top of the inlet fitting to the injector pump....JUST like all of you said....5 seconds of cracking that loose and.... FIRE!

Thanks....everyone....

On another note......starting fluid causes rapid expansion of metals and can temporarily lock up your motor.....trust me i klnow! Tried it on my F250 ONCE.......SCARY!...An old diesel mechanic i know saturated a rag with gas and put it around the air filter for a few seconds.....using the vapors to accelerate the starting process....he said that if you use starting fluid(with a spray) you can do some damage.....his method worked...Not sure how safe that was but regardless...it worked with no apparent damage.

Thanks again!.......Sean