Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #1  

seanhoffman

Tractor
ford 1720
OK.......I was running down the road and the tractor started acting like it was running out of fuel. It quickly stopped running. I restarted it and the same, it ran for a second and that was it....

I immediately went to the fuel filter, and it was apparent to me that that was the source of the problem....NASTY.......I cleaned out the resevoir and changed the filter.....I also pulled the fuel lines, to make sure the injector pump was delivering.....The filter was really bad....I felt that a more thorough inspection was necessary.....

So now I have checked the obvious places, and it still wont fire. Is it possible that I need to do something else? I know that my escavator, needs to be primed if it runs out of fuel. Does the tractor need the same. If so how do I do it?

I need help, and refuse to take it to the mechanic. Stubborn I guess.

A little help guys.

Thanks.........Sean

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #2  
You are mostlikely going to need to loosen the Fuel lines at the injectors and turn the engine over until you see fuel leaking out where your lines connect to the injectors. Or in other words, blead the system of air. Be careful not to crank on the starter to long and over heat it in the process. best of luck

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #3  
I agree, you probably just need to bleed the system of air. If that doesn't do it, take the inlet line loose from your fuel pump and turn the engine over to see if fuel is reaching the fuel pump, if it is, re-connect the inlet line and take the outlet line loose and turn the engine over again and check to see that your fuel pump is pumping fuel out. If the fuel pump is working, loosen the lines where they connect to the injectors and turn the engine over until fuel leaks out each line. That should bleed the system. Again, don't grind on the starter too long at a time to prevent overheating it. Hope you get it going, and good luck.

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #4  
OK.......I was running down the road and the tractor started acting like it was running out of fuel. It quickly stopped running. I restarted it and the same, it ran for a second and that was it....

I immediately went to the fuel filter, and it was apparent to me that that was the source of the problem....NASTY.......I cleaned out the resevoir and changed the filter.....I also pulled the fuel lines, to make sure the injector pump was delivering.....The filter was really bad....I felt that a more thorough inspection was necessary.....

So now I have checked the obvious places, and it still wont fire. Is it possible that I need to do something else? I know that my escavator, needs to be primed if it runs out of fuel. Does the tractor need the same. If so how do I do it?

I need help, and refuse to take it to the mechanic. Stubborn I guess.

A little help guys.

Thanks.........Sean

Anybody that has a diesel tractor has run them out of fuel, either by empting the tank or clogging the fuel filter, at leat once! the slow learners do it several times!
You have to bleed the system to restart the tractor. Start at the bleed screw ( open it) on the filter and open the fuel valve at the tank. Bubbles will cme out until the filter is full of fuel. then bleed the injector pump IF it has a bleed screw. Then open the fuel fitting at the injector enough so that it leaks, one at a time, and with a fully charged battery, crank the engine over till fuel comes out of the fitting. then close the fiitng and repeat with the other injectors. By the time you get to the last injector the engine will most likely start.

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720
Ok guys.....the general concencus has me bleeding the system at the point where the fuel line and injector come together......

I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back.......

I will add that there are two bolts directly under the point where the fuel lines leave the pump housing....one of the bolts has a (cap)nut on it.....any ideas what that is? Could it be some form of bleed valve??

Thanks....guys

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720
Ok....I tried to bleed the system by cracking the fuel lines at the injectors....NOTHING.....I have fuel to the injector pump....Not sure where to go from there....I have attached a pic of where the fuel lines leave the pump.....There is a block that they come out of.....i noticed a set screw in the top of it....looks like a bleed screw, but i cant imagine that that would be what you guys are talking about....If you look real close you can see it in the pic. It is located to the left of where the fuel hose(from thr filter) enters the top of the pump......

Any advice????? for my next move?

Thanks......Sean

Attachments

• 2012-02-15 15.38.07.jpg
    2012-02-15 15.38.07.jpg
    479.1 KB · Views: 2,345
   / Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #7  
have you cracked the hard lines at the injector, one at a time.. keeping yer fingers away from it?

have you tried to pull start it?

is it making any smoke?

pull starting is much easier on the starter..

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #8  
Are you sure you are getting fuel to the pump? My tractor for example has a in the tank screen on the nipple that threads into the tank and affixes to the fuel bowl. Its the first thing that will get clogged. I also have a screen in the fitting that connect the flexible hose from the injector pump to the fuel bowl.

The spin on filter is after the injector pump. On my tractor the injector pump is actually two pumps. Fuel flows via gravity from the tank, though the fuel bowl, to the low pressure side of the injector pup, out to the spin on filter, back to the injector pump so the high pressure side can deliver fuel to the injectors.

I really think you need to do more investigation. You may need to remove the fuel tank and wash it out.

You can check for fuel flow though the tank, bowl, and hose to the injector pump by simply removing it and seeing if it will flow good into a bucket.

Chris

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #9  
tank taps are pretty east to plug up.. not a large orifice there.. especially if black biologicals are present..

/ Need help with fuel delivery problem-Ford 1720 #10  
You can use a bit of starting fluid but don't if you don't know what you are doing or you'll damage your engine.