1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING?

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING? #1  

Eciton

ok, so i got an older Kubota B7100 4x4 (i think gear drive) included when I bought a new house (YAAAY)

has good tires, motor starts and runs - only smokes a little at startup.

thats the good

when i drive it around the yard and press on the pedal on the left side there is a HORRENDOUS grinding noise.

thats the bad.

to put it out there, im not familiar with these tractors so im not entirely certain what pedal does what and the tractor is so old that any and all labels are worn off.

little help?

thanks!!

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING? #2  
Do you know how to run a clutch, how to shift, and so forth?

Not really much info.

How do you get it into gear after you start it?

Does it grind when you start out, when you try to stop moving, when you switch gears....

This will beome the blind leading the blind. :) If I could be there, 5 minutes and know what going on.

--->Paul

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING? #3  
If it's a gear transmission, then that pedal is the clutch. These tractors are different from a car in that they don't like to be shifted while they're moving. Proper technique is to come to a complete stop, select new gear, then start back up.

Is the grinding occuring when you depress the clutch pedal, or when you try to shift into another gear?

If it's making that racket from just depressing the clutch pedal, then it sounds like the clutch needs work.

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING?
haha, fair enough.

i know how to drive a manual truck. i assumed a gear tranny tractor was not much different.

so help me out. there is one pedal on the left and a giant split pedal on the right - someone told me that was for L and R brakes.

i started it up and pushed the left pedal in and shifted the gear shift to 1... tractor started moving. i wanted to stop it so i assumed i would push left pedal back in to dissengage tranny.... then came the grinding.

clear as mud? :)

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING? #5  
Tractor Data dot com lists a B7100 has having 3 forward and 1 reverse. 1 - 3 shifted with the left hand lever. Also has a low-high range lever shifted with the right hand.

The left pedal would be the clutch. The two pedals on the right are L & R brakes on the rear wheels. For you use I'm thinking they need to be latched together so you have straight line braking.

The noise you hear could be a throw out bearing which just may need some grease. Using all safety precautions check the underside for grease zerks and grease it up. Of course it may get better with use. My B7510 growls at me until I drive it a few minutes and get everything warmed up.

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING?
ok. so no clutching and shifting on the fly....go to know! :)

so just hit the brake(s) until i come to a dead stop then clutch then new gear?

/ 1980/81 Kubota B7100 - GRINDING? #7  
That's the ticket!