M-F Injection Pump diesel drip

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip #1  

bones66

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF-230
I have an older 3 cyl Massey Ferguson with a Perkins diesel engine. It has a CAV injection pump that is dripping diesel fuel from the large nut that comes out of the bottom of the pump. The nut itself is about 2" long so it's not just a nut and serves some other purpose. I think this would be at what would be the rear of the pump as it's toward the rear of the tractor. It's the only nut that comes out of the bottom. A drip every 15 seconds or so. I've checked to make sure it's not leaking from a line above and running around around the pump and dripping off of the nut. It appears to be coming from the nut. I have tightened it pretty good and don't want to try to go any tighter and do the unmentionable!:( Does anyone know what it under this nut and will I do any harm taking it off. I want to remove it to see if there's a copper washer I might replace but I don't want springs and balls to fly around the shop either!;) Nearest dealer is about 1-1/2 hrs away. Thanks in advance!

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip #2  
I have an older 3 cyl Massey Ferguson with a Perkins diesel engine. It has a CAV injection pump that is dripping diesel fuel from the large nut that comes out of the bottom of the pump. The nut itself is about 2" long so it's not just a nut and serves some other purpose. I think this would be at what would be the rear of the pump as it's toward the rear of the tractor. It's the only nut that comes out of the bottom. A drip every 15 seconds or so. I've checked to make sure it's not leaking from a line above and running around around the pump and dripping off of the nut. It appears to be coming from the nut. I have tightened it pretty good and don't want to try to go any tighter and do the unmentionable!:( Does anyone know what it under this nut and will I do any harm taking it off. I want to remove it to see if there's a copper washer I might replace but I don't want springs and balls to fly around the shop either!;) Nearest dealer is about 1-1/2 hrs away. Thanks in advance!

Do a google search for "CAV distributor injection pump repair manual". As I recal it has a parts breakdown drawing on it that might help you.

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip
Do a google search for "CAV distributor injection pump repair manual". As I recal it has a parts breakdown drawing on it that might help you.

Jerry,thanks but I tried that and found lots of info but didn't find the specific injector that looked like mine with any exploded view or labeled parts etc. Will try again later today, if not the dealer is usually pretty helpful over the phone just thought someone would know right off what that nut(?) pertained to?

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip #4  
Jerry,thanks but I tried that and found lots of info but didn't find the specific injector that looked like mine with any exploded view or labeled parts etc. Will try again later today, if not the dealer is usually pretty helpful over the phone just thought someone would know right off what that nut(?) pertained to?

I'm not sure, but my reviweing of the info I haveIi think that nut maybe part of the advance mechanism for the injector pump.

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip #5  

I'm not sure, but my reviweing of the info I have I think that nut maybe part of the advance mechanism for the injector pump.

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip
Jerry, I ended up calling my dealer today and he said the most of the time it's not leaking from that nut. Which I found out actually feeds a line to the injectors as there are three of them evenly spaced around that end of the pump. They go thru a banjo fitting that attaches to the fuel lines. So he told me where he suspected the leak was coming from and he is right. There is an O ring where the rear of the pump inserts into the front part of the pump. When I take and air hose and blow this dry and restart the tractor I see it seeping in that area and then running across to the nut (actually bolt) I was talking about. From here it's (1) deliver my tractor or (2) take the injector pump out myself and deliver it to them. I guess actually there is a number (3) and I can let it leak while I get some chores done?:D Don't really want to do number 3. as it's getting worse. Actually I don't want to do any of the above but seems there's no option. Thanks for the reply's!:)

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip #7  
We have a MF 65 that has the same issue. I have been planning to fix it in the spring. I must admit that, while I am very mechanically capable, I am only starting to learn about the pump. Are the leaking o-rings not easily accessible or are you at risk of damage trying to replace them yourself? I couldn't tell from your post why you wouldn't attempt changing them yourself. Any advise you can offer would be a huge help. Thanks!

/ M-F Injection Pump diesel drip #10  
I am looking for a DELPHI diesel injector pump for kioti tractor 901-2b can anyone help me