Can't get greases in fittings

/ Can't get greases in fittings #1  

ramdino

Tractor
Ford 4000
I have a 3 foot mowboard plow with spring trips and I am trying to grease it but no matter hard hard I try to pump my gun, I cannot get grease to flow in several fittings. Any advice?

/ Can't get greases in fittings #2  
May have to replace the zerk fittings. Ocassionally they will sieze up and not allow you to pump any grease into them.

/ Can't get greases in fittings #3  
And you can always apply heat from a torch.

/ Can't get greases in fittings #4  
I have a 3 foot mowboard plow with spring trips and I am trying to grease it but no matter hard hard I try to pump my gun, I cannot get grease to flow in several fittings. Any advice?

Step 1- remove the zerk and check for grease flow through it, none, replace zerk and gease as normal, zerk works, go to step 2 and 3.

Step two pull the pin and clean it all up. Check to see if grease flows into the joint. Believe it or not I had this happen that a zerk fitting hole was not drilled through.

Step 3 put it all back together, if it still doesn't work scratch your head then your a** and start all over.

Should be simple stuff

Ron

/ Can't get greases in fittings #5  
The older type screw out, get a little wrench on & take the fitting out. See if grease flows through the fitting when it is out. Probably full of dirt & dry grease.

Take a little wire and scratch in the hole where the zerk was. Probably dirt, rust, dry grease, scratch it out. Can spray in a little penitrating oil, can help loosen up dirt & rust and dry oil around the whole joint.

Put back together and grease.

On my plows, often there is too much weight or pressure on some of the zerks and can't get any grease in. When the plow is sitting on the ground, or in the ground, the pressures are at different points and those zerks will work fine then. If they are in a bind, try greasing when the plow is down, or jacked up, or whatever.

--->Paul

/ Can't get greases in fittings #6  
I have 3 drawers in my little misc parts cabinet with different sized zerk fitting just for such occassions. If after moving the part to be greased around to transfer the load to different sides and it doesnt work, I remove it, then try to force grease thru it, if it goes in then I work on the grease point to remove dried grease. If not, then I go to the cabinet and find its mate. They are too cheap to invest too much with trying to overhaul one.

I also have a thread tap that I use to tap the hole on the pressed in ones when I have to replace one of those. Threaded type tend to stay in rather than fall out like the pressed ones.

/ Can't get greases in fittings #7  
good advise above, one thing I can add is get the tool that you hit with a hammer to losen/force the grease in. I believe northern tool sells them{?}

/ Can't get greases in fittings #8  
Sometimes you can knock the pin back and forth with a brass hammer and / or rotate it with pliers. This helps to open a passage for the grease. Heat generally helps, too.