M-F Multipower repair/ need help

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #1  

cookbt

I had to split the tractor for other repairs and my Multipower was beginning to slip a little on steep downgrades. While split, I took the transmission to a local shop that was supposedly very famillar with M-F multipower for a rebuild. I did install a new AGCO Auxillary Pump and re-assembled the tractor. The result was NO Multipower function. The hydr. clutch would not engage at all. I have torn the transmission down again and inspected the clutch-pack components, replaced the piston and all sealing rings. The local shop had already replaced both of the input shafts, clutch discs and plates and the front housing with new "aftermarket parts".
The clutch-pack seems to "try" to engage at times now, but still no real funtion.
I have tried to get specifications regarding clearances and "fits" and allowable tolerances, but to no avail. Desperate for a multipower "expert's" advice.

TTFN, Ben

Last edited:
   / M-F Multipower repair/ need help #2  
I had to split the tractor for other repairs and my Multipower was beginning to slip a little on steep downgrades. While split, I took the transmission to a local shop that was supposedly very famillar with M-F multipower for a rebuild. I did install a new AGCO Auxillary Pump and re-assembled the tractor. The result was NO Multipower function. The hydr. clutch would not engage at all. I have torn the transmission down again and inspected the clutch-pack components, replaced the piston and all sealing rings. The local shop had already replaced both of the input shafts, clutch discs and plates and the front housing with new "aftermarket parts".
The clutch-pack seems to "try" to engage at times now, but still no real funtion.
I have tried to get specifications regarding clearances and "fits" and allowable tolerances, but to no avail. Desperate for a multipower "expert's" advice.

TTFN, Ben

My 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe has multipower. I haven't torn into the tranny yet, but I have to do a clutch job soon, so I may take a look at the multipower stuff.

If you still have the old aux pump, I'd reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem. That new pump may be bad.

Good luck

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #3  
My 1964 MF135 diesel deluxe has multipower. I haven't torn into the tranny yet, but I have to do a clutch job soon, so I may take a look at the multipower stuff.

If you still have the old aux pump, I'd reinstall it and see if that fixes the problem. That new pump may be bad.

Good luck

G'day Flusher if your MP is working then don't touch it you can open up a real can of worms and it does not need to be touched to put in a new clutch

Cook I will see if i get a chance today to look for some specs. What model Massey?
Jon

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help
The old pump is not servicable but I put a gauge on the new pump and my pressure is fine from the pump. Mannuals state that the multipower side of the pump output should be between 500 - 800 psi. A 600 psi gauge is "pegged" when dead-headed from the pump.

Jon,
It is a M-F 165 high clearance or "Row-Crop". The pto is the "livepower" two stage clutch type (not independent pto) and it is factory equppied with Aux Hydraulics. It was purchased "new" in 1968 but an M-F dealer said the S/N traced it to beig built in Detroit btween May & June of 1966. All this info may have a bearing on the related specifications.

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #5  
Had the clutch pac go out on my 1964 Massey 35 Deluxe. I know this one was over my head so I took the tractor to the local MF dealer. They replaced it with a rebuilt Masssey pac and I never had another problem. As I recall it ran $400.
I always liked the multi-power option. Fast speed changes without going to the throttle.

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #6  
I had a 165 with MP by any chance did you try to adjust the linkage?

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #7  
try to pm member farmwithjunk

he's very good with MF tractors..

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #8  
G'day sorry for the delay have not had time to scratch lately:eek:. I have just been looking for my 165 manual and cannot find the bit I want :( so haven't forgotten but will have to wait for boss to come back tommorow.
PS Have you checked your linkage adjustment to make sure the valve is operating correctly IIRC you should have about 1/8" gap at the top of the slot when the lever is up

Jon

Last edited:
   / M-F Multipower repair/ need help #9  
If you have not yet been on the phone with the people who did your trans work, you should do so before you start tearing into it. They may have some suggestions or even send someone out to look at it. If you expect any help from them, let them know what's going on before you do much with it.

/ M-F Multipower repair/ need help #10  
Hi everyone
My mf 135(3 cylinder diesel) pto will not engage while the motor is running.
The 2 stage clutch was replaced due to excessive wear to the pto clutch.
I have adjusted the space between the 3 bolts and pressure plate finger but still no success.
I have adjusted the clutch but still nothing.
Can anyone help?????