Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Silver Member

Default Re: Ford 4400,won\'t charge

Did he mention the voltage regulator, Sometimes on the fords and especially the Lucas genny they need to be the same brand.

We usually replace both at the same time. And they also need to be polarized. On the battery we replaced the battery 3 times before we found a New holland that would keep taking a charge after a month or so. I don't know if it was a bad batch or what. We have a 2000 and a 4000 that we rob from the other when one goes down. Usually 0F and snow and hungery cows staring at you in the face. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Patrick

Tractor
    JD 750 (first was '62 AC D-12 w/ factory 3pt.)

Check your voltage regulator contacts. On my Allis Chalmers I replaced the brushes in my generator and found out the hard way that if you didn't polarize the generator properly before running it (mine was 6 volt positive ground), you melted the contacts in the voltage regulator. If your regulator is like mine was, you can take the cover off and look at the contact points.

Sorry i haven't been around,got a new toy for the barn. Work was getting rid of a Bridgeport mill and i thought that would fit nice in there,got that home and been reading stuff to get it wired up(its a 3-phase). Is there away i can check the genny while its on the tractor to see if its charging right from the genny,not going though the battery but off the connections on the genny? If its charging there i can go to the regulator
    Thanks
    jake

Silver Member

I am pretty sure if you remove the battery cables while the tractor is running it should die if it is not charging. If charging it will continue to run. At least that is what a neighborhood shade tree says. [img]/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Patrick

Tractor
    Kubota L3130 GST

poorboy

You are correct in that it should keep running if it is charging, but please do no try this on a modern computer controled auto.... That could cost you dearly....

I Wish you well

Gil

Poorboy,
    Disconnecting the battery with the engine running can also blow the regulator in the alternator. Not always but it can and will happen sometimes.

I ended up taking back the ginny and it wasn't showing any signs of charging.Hes going to take a look at it and i'll let you guys now whats going on with it.

Well i finally got it to charge,only 2 volts more but that might be standard to that ginny. The bolt rusted apart in the ginny for the ground wire(fixed,no charge) Took it home and no luck,put on the new regulator and nothing. Took out some sandpaper and made sure everything was clean and it worked. Thanks for all your help

jake

Glad to hear you are charging again Jake.
    Happy tractoring.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The bolt rusted apart in the ginny for the ground wire(fixed,no charge) Took it home and no luck,put on the new regulator and nothing. Took out some sandpaper and made sure everything was clean and it worked )</font>

I have one more piece of crucial advice for you. From what I've seen, you had this genny 'fixed' , and had to take it back to be repaired again, ( broken wire ), and still got home and had to sand down some connections to make it work... Find that genny guys' number in the phone book, and scribble it out... he hasn't done you any favors...

Soundguy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12