Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Ford 4400,won\'t charge

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what is wrong. Fixed the Generator and the battery is
    less than one year old. How do i check to see if the battery is getting a charge or not?
    Thanks
    Jake

Found this site and i love it,makes me feel like getting a new tractor and trading in my old one

Silver Member
    Tractor
    New Holland TC30,, Kubota Bx2360

Default Re: Ford 4400,won\'t charge

If your battery charge is low to begin with you will probably have to charge it first with battery charger. Had the same problem last year with 801 power master. Thought the charging system was messed up.Spent most of day taking the alternator off and going to an auto parts dealer to have it checked. It was fine battery just needed more charge before the alternator could take over.
    daryl

Tractor
    Kubota L3130 GST

If you have access to a digital voltmeter, it is easy. Read battery voltage with engine off, start engine, read voltage, raise rpm, read voltage. With engine running at speed, the voltage should increase.

I have heard a tractor mechanic say the number one charging problem with the older tractors is "not running the engine fast enough". The engine is goverend to not over speed. Run it up and let the engine do what it is suppose to do. Beleave it or not under speed or lugging will harm the engine also.

I wish you well

Gil

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

You've already got some good advice... I'll try to add some as well.

Make sure all your connections are clean ant tight, and that you have your polarities correct.

The volt meter idea is a good one. Also you can install an inline amp meter with the charging wire from the reguilator.. it will show total output from the genny to the battery. ( keep in mind most genny's .. especially for the fords were lower output than alternators.. like around 20 amps.

You say you fixed the genny... what did you do to it? Many gennys need to be replolerized to work. Procedure varies.. but on our old ford 8n's, with the tractor off, we spark from the bat to the armature contact at the genny with a screwdriver.

hope this helps,

Soundguy

On the voltmeter,are you talking about the neg/pos on the battery? On the generator,had the bearings replaced & ceramic part inside replaced and the guy said it looked good

Yes read accross the battery. _ meter lead on - post and + lead on + post.

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

If your genny was apart for much work, it may have to be polarized again... the shoes probably lost thier residual magnetic biasing...

Soundguy

I checked it out last night,still not charging. I tried the voltmeter and nothing changed when i rasied the engine RPM.
    All read at 11volts,I put a new Regulator on it to, had one sitting around.To polorize the genny,touch the batt. to the contact on the genny?

Tractor
    JD 4400

The process for polarizing a generator varies. Check with the guy who did the repair work, he should be able to give you the correct procedure for your set up.

I ended up calling the guy that fixed my ginny,its a Lucas genny,touch the + side of battery and the ginney
    with the smallest one for the connection.Seemed it didn't spark,touched the metal casing of it and it did.
    Tryed the voltmeter and still no movement. What next?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast