what year and model tractor do i have,

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #1  

COASTBUSTER

Tractor
4000 hd industrial 1964
Hi guys,
I have a ford backhoe/loader that probably has a bad ring gear or spiders. To order new parts I need to know the model and year. There is a decal on the hood that says "4000 INDUSTRIAL SERIES" but I'm not sure. The two numbers stamped above the starter on the transmission are ---- 1841-s and 48871 between the diamonds. Any idea? Dan

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #2  
There should be a plate somewhere on the machine with a serial number. It would likely have the exact model number as well. You need BOTH of these numbers to order parts for most tractors. That is because records are kept by serial number of when parts are changed. The parts listings are generally set up such that you might use part #xxxxxxx for serial numbers below 123456 and part #yyyyyyy for serial numbers 123456 and later.

Year of production means almost nothing. The keys are the model number and serial number.

The ID plate is in different locations on different tractors, but usually somewhere on the frame.

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #3  
what side of the tractor is the starter on when sitting on the tractor

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #4  
Could be a 4500. AFAIK, that's the only "4000 Industrial Series" TLB that Ford made.
But, Dennis is correct. For MOST parts, you will have to have the manufacturer's model and serial numbers. On some of the older Fords, that can be attached to the side of the engine block. (I think that may be where WhoDat is headed with his question) Should be a metal tag. Sometimes they get painted over, but unless the machine was stolen at some point, there would be no benefit in removing it. Keep looking. You really need those numbers.

As far as the parts go, I would suggest an equipment salvage yard. You may be able to get what you need for pennies on the dollar. There are currently 10 salvage listings on TractorHouse.com for the 4500. Also, some of the salvage dealers might be able to tell you which parts may be interchangable with the farm tractors. (like, maybe the 4000?)

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #5  
All US-built Fords prior to 1965 use the same starter ring gear, part number 9N6384. Based on the numbers you provided, if the fuel tank sits EXACTLY over the top of a 4 cylinder OHV engine, that's what you need. If it is a three cylinder engine, that ring gear won't work, and there are different ring gears for gas and diesel engines.
I'll ask again, which side of the engine is the starter on?

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #6  
Could be a 4500. AFAIK, that's the only "4000 Industrial Series" TLB that Ford made.
(like, maybe the 4000?)

also had a pre 65 4000 tbl and a post 65 4400 also

All US-built Fords prior to 1965 use the same starter ring gear, part number 9N6384. Based on the numbers you provided, if the fuel tank sits EXACTLY over the top of a 4 cylinder OHV engine, that's what you need. If it is a three cylinder engine, that ring gear won't work, and there are different ring gears for gas and diesel engines.
I'll ask again, which side of the engine is the starter on?

thats is what i asked because you know as well as i do you cant see the motor to easy if a tlb but the starter is visable he cant get any help until he tells us wether it a 3 or 4 cyl. or which side the starters on

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #7  
also had a pre 65 4000 tbl and a post 65 4400 also . . .
Whodat,
Thanks for the clarification. I don't ever recall seeing a 4000 Industrial, but there's a lot I don't recall anymore. :laughing:
But, since you mentioned it, I do remember the 4400.

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #8  
Whodat,
Thanks for the clarification. I don't ever recall seeing a 4000 Industrial, but there's a lot I don't recall anymore. :laughing:
But, since you mentioned it, I do remember the 4400.

yea the pre 65 there aren't many but the 4400 and 4500 there is a bunch in my neck of the woods because of all the pipe line companies is where 90% of the came from

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #9  
guys.. he's mentioning 'spiders' I'm going to hazard a guess here but bet he means the differential ring gear .. thus the reference to spiders...

soundguy

/ what year and model tractor do i have, #10  
guys.. he's mentioning 'spiders' I'm going to hazard a guess here but bet he means the differential ring gear .. thus the reference to spiders...

soundguy

That's what I'm thinking, but I wouldn't replace just one gear. If the ring is worn out, then the pinion and planetary gears are too. I would find a salvage tractor and get the whole "chunk."