Ford 8n restoration

/ Ford 8n restoration #1  

justinhart45

Tractor
Ford 8n
I am currently restoring a 1952 Ford 8n. I was wondering if anyone knew how much red paint I would need to purchase. I have the tractor torn down to the frame (engine, transmission/lift and axles).

/ Ford 8n restoration #2  
I am currently restoring a 1952 Ford 8n. I was wondering if anyone knew how much red paint I would need to purchase. I have the tractor torn down to the frame (engine, transmission/lift and axles).

Depends on the paint you are using and how you are applying it. Rattle cans I would buy at least 6, but it's the paint you can't see that's the most important on a tractor, base coat should be carefully considered. Por15 is about the best industrial quality paint I have ever seen. Google por15 you can use a brush or gun.

/ Ford 8n restoration #3  

Thats a odd question.

/ Ford 8n restoration #5  

a couple quarts will give you a couple coats, if you use a spary gun.. though many palces you can't get quarts anymore .. so that leaves you with a gallon.

if brush painting, deffinately go with a gallon.

ps.. use a primer as well.

forget the rattle cans.. for what you will spend in rattle cans, you could buy a cheap gun, hose, pancake compressor AND canned paint and take yer time and paint it good.. and it won't be paper thin and peeling in 3 months...

soundguy

/ Ford 8n restoration #6  
forget the rattle cans.. for what you will spend in rattle cans, you could buy a cheap gun, hose, pancake compressor AND canned paint and take yer time and paint it good.. and it won't be paper thin and peeling in 3 months...

soundguy

Spot on. You have the bull work done, and using todays guns is like using a mig welder, you don't have to do it for a living to get professional results.

/ Ford 8n restoration #7  
I brushed my old tractor, It came out good, Sure was less to do, an I have spray equipment.Be sure any paint you use has "UV"protection. The hood i did with brush an sealed it with a few rattle cans of clear. The hole thing was easy an fun, The most important thing is sand,clean it an tack rage, before painting.Good luck an give us pics:)
Army Grunt

Attachments

• 100_9609.JPG
    100_9609.JPG
    886.5 KB · Views: 1,767
   / Ford 8n restoration #8  

I'd get a gallon and apply with a $40 HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight. That's what I use to paint my restorations, like this 1948 Farmall Cub

Cub paint-1.JPGCub paint-2.JPG

/ Ford 8n restoration #9  
As others said, use a spray gun.

Quicker and easier IMO. And after the job is done, your finger wont be cramped up from a rattle can.

PAint amount, 2 quarts of red, 2 quarts of red primer, 2 quarts of grey, and two quarts of grey primer.

And honeslty, you will probabally only use one of each. Im mixed right and used with a hardner.

We use VM&M napatha to thin the paint to be sprayed as well as hardener. Make sure you use a hardner. Especially if using BPS paint at TSC. I have used it without, and about a week later, the paint can be scratched off with a fingernail. With the hardner, it is hard as a rock in a day or two.

And not use the ford grey from TSC. Go to a Ford/NH dealer. The TSC stuff is the wrong color.

And also, as with any paint job, 90% of the way to get a great finish is in the prep. MAke sure everything is clean and grease free. I like to wipe everything down with acetone and let that evap off right before I spray too. Just to be sure there will be no fisheyes or anything.

Good luck and post pics.

/ Ford 8n restoration #10  
I'd get a gallon and apply with a $40 HVLP spray gun from Harbor Freight. That's what I use to paint my restorations, like this 1948 Farmall Cub

and if you shop around.. 10-25$ for an ok gun..

some of my best paint got laid down with a 10$ chinese gun..

soundguy