Lucked Out On Craigslist

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #1  

weldingisfun

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4500 4WD w/FEL, and Scotts S2048 lawn tractor
Found an ad on Craigslist for a HF 20-ton Shop Press 20 Ton Shop Press - Hydraulic Shop Presses on Sale
From the picture on the ad, it looked brand new. His asking price, $125. Fella said the jack didn't work.
Well, I was already planning on getting the HF 12-ton shop press and figured, "Why not?"
Bought it, brought it home, tried the jack,,,, nothing. Then tightened the pressure release screw and tried again. Works like a champ. Oh, and it is brand new, not even any dust on it.
Yup, I'm a happy camper.:D

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #2  
Probably a good thing you bought it...if the seller was that stupid, he would probably have hurt himself...

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #3  
Did u check it under load.?. I have had a jack go bad where it does in deed go up but lost all it's balls when tryin to push weight. I don't know jack about the internals so I just tossed it out

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #4  
Ah- the story about the open valve screw reminded me of a great 16" Powermatic wood planer, complete with a knife grinding bar attachment that I bought for about $500 in the 70's- it was in great shape, BUT the previous owner hadn't tightened the many adjustment screws, as on the gibs, etc., and as a result, it was really sloppy. I just went around adjusting and tightening down the many screws, and it worked great! Sold it some years later for about a $1000 if I remember right. Sometimes, you luck out.

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #5  
Probably a good thing you bought it...if the seller was that stupid, he would probably have hurt himself...

yep!

I did near the same on a tranny jack.

the pressure valve must be double oringed as it's stff to turn.. but once turned in.. worked good.. may have been a floor modle.. but was about half price.. :)

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #6  
A shop press is one of those things that you don't realize just how useful they are until you own one. The next thing you'll want to do is keep your eyes open for thick (1"+) pieces of steel for arbor plates. I came across 5 4"x8" 1 1/8" thick pieces at a scrap yard that I bought for a couple of bucks. I now have more than enough to make a solid platform across the press plus the ones that came with it. Sounds like you got a great deal.

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #7  
yep.. even scrap cutouts at a fab shop work good for arbor plates!

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #9  
Did u check it under load.?. I have had a jack go bad where it does in deed go up but lost all it's balls when tryin to push weight. I don't know jack about the internals so I just tossed it out

Usually on jacks it's just a garden variety o-ring. Probably a metric one from China that was cut during installation. You could have replaced it for under a buck.

/ Lucked Out On Craigslist #10  
I've rebuilt plenty a bottle and floor jack using generic oring kits.. I always pick up bottle jacks when I see people toss them out.

soundguy