What do you use to "load" your tires?

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #1  

dourobob

Platinum Member
Tractor
Wheel Horse 522xi
What do you use to \"load\" your tires?

In my area calcium chloride is the common liquid for loading tactor tires as it doesn't freeze in winter. On another board it was suggested that alcohol is better (I am assuming that is isopropyl and it goes in the tire /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif) and it takes about 5 gallons plus water for an average rear tire. The poster indicated it causes less rust. I suspect it may not be quite as dense (heavy) as calcium chloride but the few pounds difference may not be that significant for my application. I also read on another post in TBN that old antifreeze is used by some folks - might be able to get this from the recyclers fairly cheap as long as it won't damage the tires or tubes.

Would appreciate the voices of experience on this one with any ideas /recommendations.

Thanks
Bob

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #2  
Re: What do you use to \"load\" your tires?

Bob -- I used CaCl in my B1750, but ran over a logging hook once in the garden and the salt so nuked the soil nothing is growing there to this day! Also, when the tire came off I noticed the rim was pretty heavily rusted.

For my L3010 I used RV antifreeze (from the smell I'd say it was methanol-based) because I was worried about my pets and livestock finding leaks if I used the regular automotive glycol-based stuff. I had a flat in front (those darned logging hooks again!) and my dogs were actually repulsed by the smell...so I feel safe in that regard.

When I had the tires repaired I had them refilled with windshield washer fluid. Heavy enough, and did not freeze even though this past winter saw three weeks where the high never reached zero and the lows went down in the minus twenty/thirty range.

Pete

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #3  

Magnesium chloride performs like calcium chloride, but it is safe on the environment and your rims. Many states are requiring a percentage of it in their winter road salt mix. Search on magnesium chloride to see the many other uses. The cost to fill your tires with magnesium chloride should be close to that of calcium chloride. I paid $150.00 to fill my R4's. Slime in your front tires will seal punctures and keep you going.

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #4  

Can you use "slime" in tires that will be loaded?

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #5  

Rim gaurd, also known as beet juice. Heavier than CaCl and environmentally friendly.

/ What do you use to "load" your tires?

Hi hazmat
Any idea where one might find some further information on Rim Guard? Is it "freeze proof"? Available in Canada?

Thanks
Bob

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #7  

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( In my area calcium chloride is the common liquid for loading tactor tires ... )</font>

Bob: My limited experience mirrors yours. In my area, alcohol is more than just the common liquid - I got blank stares from the tractor dealer when I asked about RimGuard, CaCl, or anything else. I guess he doesn't read TBN /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Bottom line is that what might be available to fill tires with seems to be very regional and, at least in my case, even though I might be convinced that RimGuard is the best thing, getting some seems to be imposible. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #8  

Bob check out this thread. It has a phone number for the guy who invented Rim guard. He should be able to tell you a local dealer. As far as I know it is freeze proof, but don't know to what temp.

Rim Guard

/ What do you use to "load" your tires? #9  

I used some" <font color="blue"> </font> blue light special " fluid, on sale for $.50/ gallon- it didn't freeze this winter, but really helped with traction, a night and day difference in the snow, and now that the ground isn't frozen, moving gravel is much more efficient- a lot less tire spinning and rut making.

/ What do you use to "load" your tires?

OK ELMO I just have to know, what is "blue light special" fluid and where do I get more information?
Thanks
Bob