Gas tank repair

/ Gas tank repair #1  

Anonymous Poster

I picked up a JD 322 Lawn and Garden for a fix up project and also help my 4310 with the tighter mowing chores.

I removed the gas tank and clean under it and the fender pan. I put in new grommets where the fuel and sensor go. Next day I noticed a small gas leak. Seem to be a small pin hole on the side of the tank. I think the tank is made out of polypropylene. Are there any repair methods I could use and if so what product? I cleaned the outside of the tank with water, soap and a soft brush.

Also, while tilting the tank to locate the leak I was getting a small amount of gas out the new grommets. I didn't think they needed any sealant. Is this only cause they are at the top of the tank and do not have fuel against they all the time or did I not install them corrently or will they seat after time. Not leaking around where the grommet goes into the tank as much as where the tube goes through the grommet. I cleaned then up real good and used some silicone to get them installed.

Craig

/ Gas tank repair
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I think the tank is made out of polypropylene. Are there any repair methods I could use and if so what product? I cleaned the outside of the tank with water, soap and a soft brush. )</font>

It's probably polyethylene, which is a pretty common fuel tank material. If so, it can be welded with a special hot air gun (about $300 when I checked a few years ago).

Most glues won't work on polyethylene--at least, not for long.

You might look in the phone book under 'Plastics' and see if you can find anyone who can weld polytheylene, or who might know someone who can.

Polypropylene can be welded too, if that is what the tank is made out of.

Good luck.

SnowRidge

/ Gas tank repair #4  
At this point , You've got a tank with a hole in it. As pointed out, most glue's won't bond to it.

I can think of a couple ides. There is an epoxy stick specifically made to patch gas tanks. I don't know whether it will work with plastic tanks.. You'll need to find some at an auto prts store and check the wrapper.

As pointed out, this plastic can be melted with a heat gun.. a very expensive item

If you remove the tank, and throughly clean it of residue and vapors, you might try to use the tip of a soldering gun or a nail heated with a torch to 'smooth' some sourounding material over the pin hole. I've done this with radiator tanks, and winshield washer tanks... mixed results depending on the size of the hole... be safe around heat and gas tanks....

Alternately, Ive seen both plastic and metal tanks patched as follows. Enlarge the hole so that a machine screw with a large head will fit threw. get a piece of rubber gasket material.. like a tire innertube.. cut round patches put small holes in the patches so that the screw goes threw with resistance.. not sloppy round.
use the head side of the screw through the patch, then insert this threw the hole in the tank. Add a lock washer to the other side, tighten well, but do not extrude the gasket out from under the screw head.

Your call... or get another tank if you are worried about safety.

Soundguy

/ Gas tank repair #5  
Check on eBay. I have seen these tanks for sale there a number of times. Do a search under John Deere 322.
Ken

/ Gas tank repair
Harbor freight has the plastic welding setups. I recently bought one for $29.95 On sale. It comes with some rod and you can use nylon pull ties for rod also. I have not yet had a chance to use mine.
www.harborfreight.com

Ralph

/ Gas tank repair
You can usually repair it with a soldering gun. I like SoundGuys recommendation, it's very easy and less likely to cause problems for heat or sparks.

If you decide to weld it with heat (Soldering gun or Heat gun) be sure to purge the tank well. The few times I've welded on fuel or gas tanks I have cleaned them well and put an air purge on them a day before the repair began, then left a small purge on while performing the work.

Good luck with your repair/replacement

/ Gas tank repair #8  
Using the surrounding material as pointed out will work great. The only caution would be to not over heat the material. Just enough to get it soft enough to mix into the pin hole. Too hot and it starts losing it's molecular properties and becomes brittle. I repaired a weed whip tank the same way. Had a sizable crack in it. Used milk bottle plastic as 'welding' rod! It held up longer than the original tank!

/ Gas tank repair #9  
Soundguy,

Your idea of the soldering gun works wonders. Many moons ago when I worked in a Fertilizer Plant we use to get leaks in our plastic sprayer tanks. We use to always heat up a good soldering gun and melt it all together. Once repaired I actually think that area was stronger. Now I am not sure what type of plastic it was.

murph

/ Gas tank repair
I fixed my tank by doping a sheetmetal scew with JB Weld and screwing it in.

Larry