leaky 790 water pump, not even 500 hrs yet

/ leaky 790 water pump, not even 500 hrs yet #1  

spruce Deere

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 790 with loader LS xr3140h also with loader plus a cab
Noticed the coolant res. was just a little low last fall so I filled it. Unloaded some firewood logs shortly after then plowed snow later as it came. Thought I smelled anti-freeze plow'n once, but it was just a whiff and then nothing.

Figgered Just for entertainment, I would pop the hood and look things over. Res was below the cold mark. So I looked a little closer and found the front of the engine looked "shiny".........I won't say the several words I said then:D

I thought MAYBE it could be the o-ring between the pump and head, a two dollar o-ring and some of my time.... nope, then I saw the weep hole on the pump was weep'n the green.:thumbdown:

Now, its a $352.62 and some of my time, didn't make it to 500 hours and the water pump leaks:mad:

Parts should be here monday

/ leaky 790 water pump, not even 500 hrs yet #2  
Did you ask the dealer about a repair kit for it? Don't know if John Deere offers it but some 15 years ago I worked quite a bit with Yanmar 3TN & 4TN engines and Yanmar had a seal and bearing kit to rebuild the water pump. Pretty simple to install, lower price, and worked great if the bearing hasn't worn into the housing. If you pay dealer to rebuild it's a trade off in their extra labor versus new pump, but if you do it yourself can save a few $.

/ leaky 790 water pump, not even 500 hrs yet
Well, looked into that and according to deere, there is no kit for the pump according to the engine no. '3tnv82A-LJNT'. There is kits for other earlier 3TNV engines they use but not this one.

Got a hold of hoye tractor. They have a pump that looks pernt' near identical to mine, they could not tell me if it would work on my model or not..... For just less than half of what deere wants.

E-bay for parts makes me a little Leary on stuffs like this, lot of unknowns. I ordered from deere cause parts will fit, and work and if it don't work, or fit I have a dealer locally to deal with. No phone tag, emails and such.

Just figgers, warranty ran out less that a year ago..........