Bent it good...

/ Bent it good... #1  

OBWON

Ok, I was lazy and didn't slide my hitch back in and let someone else pull my trailer out and he took a sharp right turn and bent the right side rear linkage stabilizer (sway bar) bracket with the frame of the trailer.

So, do I heat it up and bend it back? Take the tire off to be safe? Maybe weld on a bend bar and then straighten it out. I can't pry it back with a pry bar and no way can I get to it with a sledge or small hammer.

I'm not a welder, but plan to have a buddy come out to weld on some hooks onto my FEL, so I thought I may as well try and fix this while he is on site.

Any ideas???? It's not bent enough to prohibit the use of the lifting rod, so I have no problem using my brush hog, box scrape, or rake, (I don't plow) but I want to get it straightened out....thanks in advance for any tips!!!

Here is the left one that is straight:

d8177442.jpg

And here is the right one that is bent good:

7640798f.jpg

/ Bent it good... #2  
If it was me I'd grab a good chunk of pipe and slot it to slide onto the bracket, then go ahead and heat it up until I could bend it back into position. I would leave the tire on since it doesn't look like it's that close in the pic.

/ Bent it good... #3  
Can you use the arm that bent it to straighten it. If not, then the slotted pipe suggestion might work. A large pipe wrench would work also if there is room to use it.

/ Bent it good... #4  
I'd pull the tire and use heat. Heat the outside of the bend, as it has been stretched on that side. If you heat the other side, you will stretch that and lose strength. With the heat applied to the stretched side, when it is pulled back straight, it will tend to fatten it back up where it's stretched.

/ Bent it good... #5  
Shorts.. Say that again... If I bend it like an L heat the outer part or the inner.

Sorry , just learning something new today

/ Bent it good... #6  
He is saying heat the outside of the bend which is where the metal stretched. On any bend you have one side that compresses and one that stretches. The stretched side is weaker so when straightening, apply enough heat to the stretched side so it compresses back when straightening. This compression will make the joint stronger and will tend to make it return to the same length as before the bend also.

/ Bent it good... #7  
He is saying heat the outside of the bend which is where the metal stretched. On any bend you have one side that compresses and one that stretches. The stretched side is weaker so when straightening, apply enough heat to the stretched side so it compresses back when straightening. This compression will make the joint stronger and will tend to make it return to the same length as before the bend also.

Clearly stated there. Using heat will also prevent the steel from becoming brittle where it was bent.