yanmar 1700

/ yanmar 1700 #1  

jolliegirl

Tractor
yanmar 1700
After I heat the glow plugs and start cranking the engine the intake starts burning a fire and the engine won't start.If I don't heat the glow plugs and crank the engine the intake starts burning a fire and it still won't start.It smokes like a freight train so I no I'm gettin fuel.Sinse the intake starts blazing a fire I no the glow plugs are workin so can someone please tell me why it won't start.

/ yanmar 1700 #2  
I am not a Yanmar owner however my JD 850 is made by Yanmar. If your tractor is any thing like mine, it does not have Glow plugs it has a Heating element inside the intake manifold that fuel drips on to preheat the intake. Living where you are, I find it unsual that you would even need to use the preheat option to start the engine in the first place. Have you tried to start it with out the preheat option? How is the fuel filter looking?

regards, Phil C

/ yanmar 1700 #3  
As Phil said, your tractor has a preheating device called a Thermostart. Is the exhaust smoking, or just the intake manifold? If the exhaust is smoking, you're close to starting. The preheat position should produce the same intake fire as holding the key.

With a freshly charged battery, activate the Thermostart. After it is burning, let it go for a 20 second count or so. Then, twist the compression release on the lower left side of the dashboard, and then crank the engine for a few seconds. Still cranking, release the decompression lever and keep cranking. It should start within a few revolutions.

If the tractor has been sprayed with ether, it's possible there is some internal damage, but if it was working fine and now won't start, try the procedure above, and proceed to bleeding the fuel system ifmthat doesn't work.