CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK #1  

AWVFARMBOY

Tractor
2008 Case IH JX 60
Howdy Folks!

Need a little help please.
I have a 2008 2WD, CASE JX 60 that has been a wonderful machine so far.
I have had it 3 yrs.
My problems began about a month ago when I got on it to start it and it would not crank. When I turn the key on all the lights light up but when I turn the key to activate the starter, nothing happens. I think its a pto safety switch. I found that out by accident when moving switches about.
When the tractor starts it is without hesitation and this problem is one that has been intermittent. Currently I cannot get it to start. I donated 300 bucks to a dealer for a repair manual but not one pic to be found or one item in the book that addresses those switches.
I am not much of a tractor mechanic. Most of my work is done on humans and the wiring is much different LOL!! :D
Any help would be appreciated.

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK #2  
Not positive about your model but look for the neutral safety switch attached to the transmission shifter. If it is loose you will get no starts sometimes and then it will start perfect other times. Sounds like this could be the type problem.

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK #3  
I agree, do the JX 60 have the forward/reverse on the left side in the floor? If so the switch can be out of adjustment.

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK #4  
It sounds like a switch to me too. Although un familiar with any tractor newer than 1984, there are a number of safety switches. The clutch if you have a clutch, a neutral switch, some have a seat switch, and some have a brake switch. Crawl around and see if any of those have a loose connection. That's about all the advice I cN give you. By the way, Welcome to TBN!

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK
Thank you for your very quick replies.

My tractor does have the shuttle shift on the left floor board and has an independent PTO lever.
I did find two white wires that were caught between the fuel tank and the frame which has flattened them but they appear intact.
I understand that my particular unit has at least 4 safety switches, one on the shuttle, one on the pto and two on the clutch if I remember correctly.
I was hoping it was the pto switch since I got the tractor to start while monkeying with the pto lever. It will be the first of the week when I can get back home and can get under it and look around. I really wish there were a repair manual with pics like the old Clymber books were for bikes. There arent too many folks around here that work on tractors and the closest dealer is a 100 miles away. Again...thank you all for your inputs, and feel free to keep em' coming.

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK #7  
The two switches could find look the same,and seem to be easy to adjust. It's possible that they have worked loose over time. Those two wires could also be the culprit. I have seen crushed wires where the copper inside was broke, but the sheathing was not terribly hurt. You can defiantly feel if the copper is broke by bending the wires a bit, and the insulation will crease where it's broke. Then all you gotta do is splice. If messing with the pot lever allowed it to start, then think you found a great place to begin.

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK
UPDATE...
Well..the weather finally broke...and I was able to get my tractor started.
I could not get into the switch and the mechanic at the Case IH dealer had never worked on a switch on my particular model....so he couldnt help. There were four plastic phillips head screws that would not unscrew so I could not get the cover off the top of the PTO shifter and get to the switch underneath.
I pulled a few hours mulling over the schematics and diagrams and decided it all came down to crossing a yellow/white wire and a red/white to bypass the switch and complete the starting circuit. This proved correct after finding that there were 2 yellow/white wires on the switch connection. My hat is off to all of you that can make sense of wiring schematics! :confused2:
After proving that bypassing that PTO switch did cure the problems, I made a jumper wire to bypass it completely. (I know this goes against the better judgement of many but I grew up on a 1954 Farmall Super C with tricycle wheels in hilly WV without killing myself so I think I will be ok)
I never thought I would need an engineering degree to do simple work on a farm tractor.
Much appreciation to those of you who offered help and PM'd me with thoughts and suggestions!!!!!!
Many Thanks!!!! :cool2: :thumbsup:

/ CASE IH JX 60 WONT CRANK #9  
Sounds Great. Easy fixes are always good!