Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Silver Member ETD66SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    215
    Location
    Newfane, New York

    Default Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I have a leaking rod seal, and I need to know the bolt torque (Item 22 on attached pdf) required to reassemble the piston to the rod.

    How difficult is it to remove the hyd tube (item 1) from the cyl head (item 6), is a strap wrench sufficient, or is this thing really torqued on there?

    Bottom line is, can I do this in my garage, or does it require special tools & fixtures?


    http://www.infinity-universe.com/~de...Ford-20H08.pdf

  2. #2
    Platinum Member KYErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    623
    Location
    South central IL
    Tractor
    1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Start with the strap wrench, then work your way up to a chain type strap wrench.

    That bolt needs to be really tight (about 200 ft pounds or so). I typically use a 2 foot cheater bar and put all of my weight into it when reassembling it. It will likely take a 4 foot cheater bar for you to get it loose...
    "Attitudes are contagious; is yours worth catching?"

  3. #3
    Silver Member ETD66SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    215
    Location
    Newfane, New York

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by KYErik View Post
    Start with the strap wrench, then work your way up to a chain type strap wrench.

    That bolt needs to be really tight (about 200 ft pounds or so). I typically use a 2 foot cheater bar and put all of my weight into it when reassembling it. It will likely take a 4 foot cheater bar for you to get it loose...
    Thanks.

    I asked the same question over at Yesterday's Tractor, and I was told the bolt needs 1100 ft-lb, which sounds more correct than 200 ft-lb.

    I wish this specification was in my service manual, so I knew for sure...

    Ford 575D Swing Cylinder Repair - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

  4. #4
    Super Member RickB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    8,805
    Location
    Eastern NY
    Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by ETD66SS View Post
    Thanks.

    I asked the same question over at Yesterday's Tractor, and I was told the bolt needs 1100 ft-lb, which sounds more correct than 200 ft-lb.

    I wish this specification was in my service manual, so I knew for sure...

    Ford 575D Swing Cylinder Repair - Yesterday's Tractor Co.
    1100 ft/lbs is correct, or at least close. If you have a genuine Ford service manual, the spec IS in it.
    The detailed response you got over on YT is very, very good. Anyone that has success removing that trunnion from the barrel with a strap wrench is a lucky guy indeed.
    This is not Toys R Us where you can throw a tantrum in the aisle to get what you want.

    We live in a democracy, and there was an election.

  5. #5
    Silver Member ETD66SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    215
    Location
    Newfane, New York

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by RickB View Post
    1100 ft/lbs is correct, or at least close. If you have a genuine Ford service manual, the spec IS in it.
    The detailed response you got over on YT is very, very good. Anyone that has success removing that trunnion from the barrel with a strap wrench is a lucky guy indeed.
    Thanks for confirming that torque. I have a reprint of supposedly a real service manual, I'll check again to see if I missed the spec.

  6. #6
    Platinum Member KYErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    623
    Location
    South central IL
    Tractor
    1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    I agree that tighter is better (as long as the threads don't get stripped)- if the published spec is 1100 ft pounds, then definitely follow that.
    "Attitudes are contagious; is yours worth catching?"

  7. #7
    Silver Member ETD66SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    215
    Location
    Newfane, New York

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Ok, update on my repair.

    I made a special spanner socket to remove the housing from the headstock of the cylinder.



    It's a simple tool with 5/16 dowel pins and a 9/16-18 bolt that threads into the rear port to hold the tool against the rear cap of the cylinder while I use an impact gun with a 2-3/4" socket.

    It worked great, I was able to, one by one, put the cylinders back in the machine backwards so that I had access to the rear of the cylinders. The impact action spun the rear cap off pretty quick, but it also loosened the tube off the headstock enough that I could remove it the rest of the way by hand.











    Now, I bought a 1-13/16" 6pt impact socket to use on my 1" drive 1400 ft-lb impact gun.

    I mounted the cyl rod ends back into the machine so the rod stuck out in a way that I could get the impact gun on the piston bolt.

    The impact gun could not move the bolt, I tried each one for about 15 mins wasting a lot of air, and nothing...

    So now I'm kinda stuck...

  8. #8
    Platinum Member KYErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    623
    Location
    South central IL
    Tractor
    1963 Ford 4000, 1943 Case SC, Case 530CK backhoe

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    You could try a shorter air hose, a higher pressure setting or a larger air hose (1/2" ID or larger).

    The other option would be a 10 ft cheater bar.
    "Attitudes are contagious; is yours worth catching?"

  9. #9
    Silver Member ETD66SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    215
    Location
    Newfane, New York

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    I actually hade a 3/4" ID hose going to my gun.

    While I was at work today, my dad took them into a local New Holland dealer, and they used their impact to break them free. I guess my Harbor Frieght 1" 1400 ft-lb gun is not so great...

  10. #10
    Platinum Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    975

    Default Re: Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

    Quote Originally Posted by ETD66SS View Post
    I actually hade a 3/4" ID hose going to my gun.

    While I was at work today, my dad took them into a local New Holland dealer, and they used their impact to break them free. I guess my Harbor Frieght 1" 1400 ft-lb gun is not so great...

    Ohhhhhhh, Harbor Freight's 1400 ft-lb gun! That explains it. They use Chinese feet pounds. they are much smaller than American feet pounds. I've stalled out HF impact guns where IR and Chicago Pneumatic guns spun easily.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ford 2120 Tractor with Loader and Backhoe
    By scottbennet in forum Private Party Ads
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM
  2. Ford 575D backhoe hydraulics question
    By rfarm1947 in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-14-2011, 09:51 AM
  3. ford 335 tractor with backhoe problem
    By badbowtie in forum Hydraulics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2011, 09:50 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-25-2011, 07:34 PM
  5. Scared Back to My Ford or Backhoe w/Ballast?
    By Anonymous Poster in forum Ag Tractors & Machinery
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-15-2000, 02:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2016 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.