Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder #1  

ETD66SS

Gold Member
Has anyone rebuilt one of these? I have a leaking rod seal, and I need to know the bolt torque (Item 22 on attached pdf) required to reassemble the piston to the rod.

How difficult is it to remove the hyd tube (item 1) from the cyl head (item 6), is a strap wrench sufficient, or is this thing really torqued on there?

Bottom line is, can I do this in my garage, or does it require special tools & fixtures?

http://www.infinity-universe.com/~dev/WhiteDwarf/Projects/575D/Ford-20H08.pdf

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder #2  
Start with the strap wrench, then work your way up to a chain type strap wrench.

That bolt needs to be really tight (about 200 ft pounds or so). I typically use a 2 foot cheater bar and put all of my weight into it when reassembling it. It will likely take a 4 foot cheater bar for you to get it loose...

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder
Start with the strap wrench, then work your way up to a chain type strap wrench.

That bolt needs to be really tight (about 200 ft pounds or so). I typically use a 2 foot cheater bar and put all of my weight into it when reassembling it. It will likely take a 4 foot cheater bar for you to get it loose...

Thanks.

I asked the same question over at Yesterday's Tractor, and I was told the bolt needs 1100 ft-lb, which sounds more correct than 200 ft-lb.

I wish this specification was in my service manual, so I knew for sure...

Ford 575D Swing Cylinder Repair - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder #4  
Thanks.

I asked the same question over at Yesterday's Tractor, and I was told the bolt needs 1100 ft-lb, which sounds more correct than 200 ft-lb.

I wish this specification was in my service manual, so I knew for sure...

Ford 575D Swing Cylinder Repair - Yesterday's Tractor Co.

1100 ft/lbs is correct, or at least close. If you have a genuine Ford service manual, the spec IS in it.
The detailed response you got over on YT is very, very good. Anyone that has success removing that trunnion from the barrel with a strap wrench is a lucky guy indeed.

1100 ft/lbs is correct, or at least close. If you have a genuine Ford service manual, the spec IS in it.
The detailed response you got over on YT is very, very good. Anyone that has success removing that trunnion from the barrel with a strap wrench is a lucky guy indeed.

Thanks for confirming that torque. I have a reprint of supposedly a real service manual, I'll check again to see if I missed the spec.

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder #6  
I agree that tighter is better (as long as the threads don't get stripped)- if the published spec is 1100 ft pounds, then definitely follow that.

Ok, update on my repair.

I made a special spanner socket to remove the housing from the headstock of the cylinder.

Swing-08.JPG

It's a simple tool with 5/16 dowel pins and a 9/16-18 bolt that threads into the rear port to hold the tool against the rear cap of the cylinder while I use an impact gun with a 2-3/4" socket.

It worked great, I was able to, one by one, put the cylinders back in the machine backwards so that I had access to the rear of the cylinders. The impact action spun the rear cap off pretty quick, but it also loosened the tube off the headstock enough that I could remove it the rest of the way by hand.

Swing-01.JPG

Swing-02.JPG

Swing-02.JPG

Swing-05.JPG

Swing-07.JPG

Now, I bought a 1-13/16" 6pt impact socket to use on my 1" drive 1400 ft-lb impact gun.

I mounted the cyl rod ends back into the machine so the rod stuck out in a way that I could get the impact gun on the piston bolt.

The impact gun could not move the bolt, I tried each one for about 15 mins wasting a lot of air, and nothing...

So now I'm kinda stuck...

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder #8  
You could try a shorter air hose, a higher pressure setting or a larger air hose (1/2" ID or larger).

The other option would be a 10 ft cheater bar.

I actually hade a 3/4" ID hose going to my gun.

While I was at work today, my dad took them into a local New Holland dealer, and they used their impact to break them free. I guess my Harbor Frieght 1" 1400 ft-lb gun is not so great...

/ Ford 575D Backhoe Swing Cylinder #10  
I actually hade a 3/4" ID hose going to my gun.

While I was at work today, my dad took them into a local New Holland dealer, and they used their impact to break them free. I guess my Harbor Frieght 1" 1400 ft-lb gun is not so great...

Ohhhhhhh, Harbor Freight's 1400 ft-lb gun! That explains it. They use Chinese feet pounds. they are much smaller than American feet pounds. ;) I've stalled out HF impact guns where IR and Chicago Pneumatic guns spun easily.