Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!!

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #21  
OBWON said:
Well I worked late last night and didn't pull my battery pigtail to remove power to the tractor and someone tried to jimmy the ignition and steel my tractor.

It can now be started with the tip of any key or screw driver. Luckily the locals in the area aren't too smart or familiar with tractors, so I leave the column gear in neutral as well as the fast/slow lever in neutral and even though they got it started, they couldn't get it rolling!

I've included pics of what the did to the ignition (file or jammed a screwdriver into it) as well as the battery pigtail I usually take with me after I put my tractor away.

Does anyone have any tips to secure a tractor? I'm thinking a steering column lock, a wheel boot, a thick cable or chain I can attach to a ship container I have on site that I use for storage, or just taking the battery with me every night I go home (hassle, but worth it).

I know I won't keep a true thief from taking it, but I'm trying to stop the stupid crack heads who are high and have no sense from getting a little further next time and riding off on it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

Install a keyed master switch in the battery ground cable

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #22  
My friend replaces the fuel pump switch on his wrecker with a blown one.

They've changed a few steering columns over the years but they still have the wrecker.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #23  
Install a keyed master switch in the battery ground cable

3$ pair of vice grips defeats a 30$ cable lockout.

pair of jump cables does to.

if someone wants yer stuff and you ain't there with a gun and a cop.. they WILL get it.. IF they want it bad enough.

insurance is a win / lose route.. but better tha lose/lose

unfortunately the way it is.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #24  
3$ pair of vice grips defeats a 30$ cable lockout.

pair of jump cables does to.

if someone wants yer stuff and you ain't there with a gun and a cop.. they WILL get it.. IF they want it bad enough.

insurance is a win / lose route.. but better tha lose/lose

unfortunately the way it is.
My dealer had a Massey GC series stolen............they hooked a chain to it and drug it down the highway. Totally destroyed the HST tranny.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #25  
i've seen all sorts of tricks. roll backs, everything.. even crazy steps to make it harder to steal, like taking tires off and battery out, etc. things that makes the owner / operator take a couple hours to re-assemble his tractor before he can use it... just not worth it in my book. around here, IF you CAN actually manage to jimmy it up enough to make it theft proof.. then they will just get frustrated and vandalize it.. so.. again.. insurance or armed guard... sad state of affairs....

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #26  
If this is any where near where someone might hear or see if you have a honking loud alarm and strobe sometimes that might scare them off. They don't want to be noticed. Downside of that is getting it to trigger long enough before they can cut power. Either an external motion sensor alarm that runs independent of the tractor or off the battery. Like most have said if they want it they will get it. Then there are the dimwits that are too dumb or lazy to put much effort into stealing it.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #27  
i've seen all sorts of tricks. roll backs, everything.. even crazy steps to make it harder to steal, like taking tires off and battery out, etc. things that makes the owner / operator take a couple hours to re-assemble his tractor before he can use it... just not worth it in my book. around here, IF you CAN actually manage to jimmy it up enough to make it theft proof.. then they will just get frustrated and vandalize it.. so.. again.. insurance or armed guard... sad state of affairs....
Welcome to the new world order. unemployment goes up.......theft rises accordingly.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #28  
I know generally your area and bet there will be more problems in the future regrettably. I would look into the "Lojack" type systems that heavy equipment operators use on machines. At least you get the tractor back and have something for the LEO's to work with.

MarkV

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!!
They came back...two nights in a row! Dumb and stupid. I disabled the tractor and it pissed them off. They ended up throwing everything they could lift into the lake.

Fortunately, one kid fell in the 55 degree water while doing so because he ended up throwing his wet clothes in a pile behind my storage container.

Junior high kids (not local) as indicated by logos on the wet t shirt and gym shorts....even more stupid then I thought.

I put everything back where it belongs and did my daily work. Place looks just as it did before they trashed it. Gives me a good feeling when they come back and say "hey, how'd all this stuff get put back so quick."

Police report filed. Next weekend, I camp out!!

Last edited:
   / Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #30  
They came back...two nights in a row! Dumb and stupid. I disabled the tractor and it pissed them off. They ended up throwing everything they could lift into the lake.

Fortunately, one kid fell in the 55 degree water while doing so because he ended up throwing his wet clothes in a pile behind my storage container.

Local junior high kids as indicated by logos on the wet t shirt and gym shorts....even more stupid then I thought.

I put everything back where it belongs and did my daily work. Place looks just as it did before they trashed it. Gives me a good feeling when they come back and say "hey, how'd all this stuff get put back so quick."

Police report filed. Next weekend, I camp out!!

If police around you are anythign like around me, they aint gonna do crap:mad:

IMO, since it seems this is re-occuring, is spend $75 on an trail camera. Make sure it is the IR type so it wont flash. And perhaps hang it up in a tree 10 or so feet pointing down so it is less noticable. Then take that to the cops when you have proof:thumbsup: