Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!!

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #51  
brin said:
I have always had a tendency to be lenient and forgiving.....twice now I have been burned and both times I had friends telling me the same thing..." Nice Guys Finish Last " They were right both times....Fool me once , shame on you, Fool me twice shame on me ! So it is now shame on me.....From now on ....no more Mr. Nice Guy...If I were you I would prosecute and tell them if they fix your tractor, go with you to the dealer and pay in advance for the repairs and the boys work to repair what vandalism they did...you will tell the judge in court....and if they don't you will tell the judge that too...

I think you have to expect these thugs maybe young but they come younger and more hardened these days and Your kindness will most certainly be interpreted as Weakness and that could make you a target for more vandalism and theft in the neighborhood.

MasseyWV said:
Exactly! Any kindness you show them will more than likely be exploited to their advantage wherever possible. Remember, you are dealing with the "me" generation who tends to only think of themselves.

The notion of turning a youth to the "good" is a noble one, but the reality of today is that one must fight back, or else. This is 2012, not 1950.

I take it you two have led perfect lives and never screwed up? Or you have screwed up and never caught a break? Or you have messed up and someone has given you a break? Which one?

I would guess that if you can be honest with yourself, you will admit to having screwed up quite a few times. And at some point you caught a break. I know that I have..several times.

Massy says "it's the ME generation, who tends to think only of themselves". What does that say of you who would choose not to consider alternative options in this situation? Sounds like perhaps you might be of the "ME" generation also.

Yes, this isn't 1950. Times have changed. More and more broken homes, with kids growing up on the street. Deadbeat dads never around. So then to heck with the kids. They do the crime they do the time. Lock them up. Throw the book at them. One strike and you are out.

Oh I hate thieves / vandals as much as the next guy. But if if we are talking a kid...dang it - that changes things. No, he's not getting off scott free, but I will be d$mned if I didn't at least try to help rehabilitate him to the best of my ability...our I couldn't sleep with myself at night. Would I be successful, seldom. But if I helped one kid turn his life around - would it be worth it? YOU BET.

Kindness...a sign of weakness? ...all I can say is WOW - that's some messed up thinking Brin.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #52  
I don't think an ex Marine would ever be thought of as weak.

I would go with your work as restitution plan. I would even get them driving that tractor.

You may end up with some protectors for your camp, and tractor, once they have some sweat equity invested.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #53  
I take it you two have led perfect lives and never screwed up? Or you have screwed up and never caught a break? Or you have messed up and someone has given you a break? Which one?

I would guess that if you can be honest with yourself, you will admit to having screwed up quite a few times. And at some point you caught a break. I know that I have..several times.

Massy says "it's the ME generation, who tends to think only of themselves". What does that say of you who would choose not to consider alternative options in this situation? Sounds like perhaps you might be of the "ME" generation also.

Yes, this isn't 1950. Times have changed. More and more broken homes, with kids growing up on the street. Deadbeat dads never around. So then to heck with the kids. They do the crime they do the time. Lock them up. Throw the book at them. One strike and you are out.

Oh I hate thieves / vandals as much as the next guy. But if if we are talking a kid...dang it - that changes things. No, he's not getting off scott free, but I will be d if I didn't at least try to help rehabilitate him to the best of my ability...our I couldn't sleep with myself at night. Would I be successful, seldom. But if I helped one kid turn his life around - would it be worth it? YOU BET.

Kindness...a sign of weakness? ...all I can say is WOW - that's some messed up thinking Brin.

I take that as an insult !! You do not know the area he is working in...I do...Get the facts before they get you....I would not try to guess what goes on in your state or area...you should no be so presumptuous either.

I think your kind of treating kids that have proven they are thugs with kid gloves and babying them is just why our country has so many problems with youth violence...Some of these kids would just as soon kill you as look at you...They will kill you just for a thrill or to get in a gang...that is the truth..I am not Politically correct...too bad !

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #54  

Oh I hate thieves / vandals as much as the next guy. But if if we are talking a kid...dang it - that changes things. No, he's not getting off scott free, but I will be d if I didn't at least try to help rehabilitate him to the best of my ability...our I couldn't sleep with myself at night. Would I be successful, seldom. But if I helped one kid turn his life around - would it be worth it? YOU BET.

I won't get into the details but suffice it to say that in my youth, I was anything but perfect. I've screwed up and caught breaks, as well as screwed up and got nailed for it. Want to guess which one had a greater positive impact on my life? Here's a hint, it wasn't catching breaks. What I said comes from real experience, both as a youth and as a parent.

As a parent, I once caught my then teenaged daughter experimenting with pills and I came down on her hard, scaring her half to death and even threatening to put her in jail. Normally, I am a pretty easy going parent but not when it comes to things like drugs, stealing, and the like. Some people might have thought I was overly harsh on her, but I knew very well the path that her actions could have led to, so I made sure that she knew without any shadow of a doubt that drugs would not be tolerated. To the best of my knowledge, she never tried them again. As an adult in college, she still remembers it and occasionally thanks me for setting her straight.

This isn't about "making them pay", it's about showing them that there are consequences for their actions. Sometimes you have to give them a taste of reality, better known as "tough love", because the world meets noone half way. Like it or not.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #55  
Do you have a horn on your tractor? Install a momentary switch; push it in while cranking and it starts. If the switch is not pushed then the horn blows when the key is turned. At least it makes some noise and will deter them from trying repeatedly to start it. It also reminds you to not crank the tractor while its already running:laughing:

Last edited:
   / Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #56  
Do you have a horn on your tractor? Install a momentary switch; push it in while cranking and it starts. If the switch is not pushed then the horn blows when the key is turned. At least it makes some noise and will deter them from trying repeatedly to start it. It also reminds you to not crank the tractor while its already running.

That's a great idea. It could be easily implemented by using a SPDT (Single Pole Double Throw) momentary switch, a variation of the diagram I posted earlier. And if the tractor doesn't have a horn, one could be easily added.

10rochj.jpg

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #57  
just something to interject... in my neck of the woods, if you call the law about a tresspasser, and they actually catch and arrest them.. and then you don't press charges... they don't come out the next time you call them...

soundguy

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #58  
BIG NEWS!!!!
... three black juvenile males ...
... junior high...
... community service for her boy and his cousin starting next weekend throughout the entire summer picking up trash every Saturday morning and helping me as laborers!!!

Young teens.
You know, you might just be the last person who has a chance to turn these un-socialized animals into responsible humans.
Good luck. You're going to need it. :thumbsup:

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #59  
Get the facts before they get you....

Agreed, but the only person with ALL the facts is the OP. He's the one who has to live with the consequences of his decisions in this matter and has to choose the best course of action based on those facts. In any case; kindness, second chances, forgiveness, etc..., do not necessarily imply weakness. Oftentimes just the opposite -- employing them demonstrates a certain kind of strength.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #60  
kindness, second chances, forgiveness, etc..., do not necessarily imply weakness. Oftentimes just the opposite -- employing them demonstrates a certain kind of strength.

I agree that showing kindness is a sign of strength but the key difference is between the words "imply" and "interpret". One has to look closely at the mindset of the person or persons who are shown kindness to better understand how it may be perceived.

As a reminder that many of todays youth are a vastly different animal than youth of the past, one need only look to recent news headlines, including the following news story that has been all over CNN lately.

Ohio shooting suspect heading back to court This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

It doesn't necessarily mean that all of todays youth are animals, only that one should be very careful in how any given situation is handled, while taking into account the harsh realities of todays society.