Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!!

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #1  

OBWON

Well I worked late last night and didn't pull my battery pigtail to remove power to the tractor and someone tried to jimmy the ignition and steel my tractor.

It can now be started with the tip of any key or screw driver. Luckily the locals in the area aren't too smart or familiar with tractors, so I leave the column gear in neutral as well as the fast/slow lever in neutral and even though they got it started, they couldn't get it rolling!

I've included pics of what the did to the ignition (file or jammed a screwdriver into it) as well as the battery pigtail I usually take with me after I put my tractor away.

Does anyone have any tips to secure a tractor? I'm thinking a steering column lock, a wheel boot, a thick cable or chain I can attach to a ship container I have on site that I use for storage, or just taking the battery with me every night I go home (hassle, but worth it).

I know I won't keep a true thief from taking it, but I'm trying to stop the stupid crack heads who are high and have no sense from getting a little further next time and riding off on it.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

107b8688.jpg

2c32acf2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #2  
I know of some tractor owners installs hidden toggle swtich..also maybe game cam well hidden(the type doesn't show flash) just in case those knotheads return.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #3  
A load of birdshot to the perpetrator's posterior should do it!:thumbsup:

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!!
A load of birdshot to the perpetrator's posterior should do it!:thumbsup:

I'm a former Marine (20 years) and a Federal Officer...I'll be camping out the next rainy night in the woods, trust me. I've done it before and come up empty handed, but it's still fun to sit and wait. They will just come back and lite the thing on fire if I catch them red handed and have them arrested though...

I like the hidden toggle/kill switch...and I have a game camera that is IR that goes up this weekend.

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #5  
Savages. Good think their not smart enough to figure it out. Where are you from by the way? Just curious as too who would try to steal your tractor.
-matt

I run a water ski venue in the City of Atlanta on the south west side....enough said! It's about 29 acres total and a 13-14 acre lake.

I'm trying to develop the space around the lake into a public park, walking/running trail, work out stations, pavillions, bbq grills, etc...

Nothing like biting the hand that feeds ya!!! I can't believe it myself...actually, I can.

Waterski Atlanta ~ Atlanta's Premier Water Ski Club ~ Slalom, Trick, Jump, Barefoot on a Private Lake just minutes from downtown!WaterSki Atlanta

WaterSkiAtlanta-1.jpg

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #7  
My opinion is that it would be best to use a hidden momentary switch that has to be pushed or depressed every time it is started. Something hidden but easy to reach, if you know where it is, would do the trick.

A standard toggle switch could be left in the on position, much like you forgot to remove the cable.

My opinion is that it would be best to use a hidden momentary switch that has to be pushed or depressed every time it is started. Something hidden but easy to reach, if you know where it is, would do the trick.

A standard toggle switch could be left in the on position, much like you forgot to remove the cable.

I think you're right. Research it tomorrow...time for some electrical work!

It just makes me angry anyone local to the area would do this....I've turned this area around from a nasty dump:

April142009-1.jpg

to something very nice over the last two and half years with a lot of money and hard work. Always bad apples in every group I guess....

May142010-1.jpg

/ Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #9  
OBWON,

Hope you catch the ****ards, have a corn cob without the kernels ready and a some turpentine handy. Dip the cob just before application and rub vigoriuosly on their arse. (To bad it turns raw and burns.) How you get the culprit to drop the pants that's up to you. Now you have culprit who is a remorseful soul. What you do next is up to you. If they have any mind left to think with, the rub down surely will cause them to remember not to mess with a Marine.

By the way Thank you for your service, I have a daughter & son and a SIL in the Corps.

Idaho2

Last edited:
   / Someone tried to steal my Massey, help!! #10  
A couple things to consider. When I am away for an extended period, I replace the good fuse for the fuel solenoid with a bad one. Sounds like it wants to starts, but of course it will not. I am considering putting in a hidden valve in the fuel line and turning it off. Granted it will start, but not get too far. If it is outside try parking in such a way that it would not be easy for it to be hooked to tow truck.