IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem

/ IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem #1  

Deezle

Tractor
IH 300 Utility: Long445DT
Hello,

Ive had my Ih fro about 6 months now, Plowed the field up in november and it has been back at my house since. i use it once and a while to move stuff around.

anyway i left the key on one time when it ran out of fuel, burnt the points condensor and coil.

I replaced all of the above and it ran good for a little while but it was a tad out of time. A few weeks ago i got it back in time and now it runs very weirdly.

It will start and run for about 3-5minutes and purr like a kitten. when i put a load on it, it will run for a little bit then it starves for fuel. I pull the choke out and it will run perfect again. i can then run it for however long i want with the choke out and it runs fine. as soon as i put the choke in it will spit and spudder and run rough.

this morning i cleaned the carb out and there was nothing dirty or plugged in it. Im at a loss cause im not really a big gas motor fan to start with, I can't imagine the points worked their way out of adjustment. and if they did it wouldn't run perfect when you first start it.

There is a main fuel adjustment screw on the bottom of the carb, it doesn't seem to affect it much either way i turn it.

I pulled one of the plugs and it is normal looking, ( not wet or burnt )
When i pull a plug wire off no matter which one it changes the engine smoothness so that leads me to think it is not a plug problem or a wire problem.

Let me know what you think,

Kody

/ IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem #2  
If you have good fuel flow into the carb then your problem is the carb. It doesn't take to long with ethanol to ruin a good carb!

Last edited:
   / IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem #3  
my super c and cub do exactly the same thing off and on. It is most likely an issue with the carb, such as a small piece of trash in the jet. I can sometimes take out the adjustment screw and spray carb cleaner back thru the opening and get it to run ok. had a bad fuel cut off once, but it always seems to be the carb in the end. Also, look in the tank for any debris covering the outlet, a small leaf or such.

/ IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem #4  
Are you in a cool humid climate right now? Those 300s will ice up a carb in a hurry. We'd have ours high-lining the safe temp area grinding feed, but the carb would be coated in frost.

Otherwise, the fuelscreen, or some piece in the carb as you suspect. Lots of times something is floating in the fuel tank, and gets sucked down to block the fuel line when it pulls a little harder...

--->Paul

/ IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem
Hello,

I think i will try to put a little air pressure through the line back to the tank, Now it is like it only gets enough fuel to run for a second or two,

I had cleaned the carb thoroughly this morning so im not sure if there is a blocked jet,

right now it is not cold enough for anything to ice up. The whole winter has been warm, my diesel didn't even gel up and i haven't put additive in it yet.

You don't think the whole carb could be trashed? the float is light and not full of fuel and all the jets seemed to be in good shape,

Thank you,

Kody

/ IH 300 utility carb or ignition problem #6  
There is a strainer screen where the fuel line goes into the carb. I would check that, if you have good flow to there.

Hello,

my carburetor doesn't appear to have the original fuel line going into it,

It has a compression type fitting that is threaded in,

The idea of somthing being clogged seems very true, I will have to look at it tomorrow after work,

Thank you,

Kody

checked the fuel flow today,

it is as good as always, checked drain plug on the carb and it has fuel in the bowl. Im almost thinking it may be an ignition problem now, I can't get it to run at all. I am going to check for any signs of ignition failure or maladjustment tomorrow in the daylight.

any other suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks
Kody

today i went out popped the cap off the distributor and sprayed some carb cleaner in there to dry up some of the oily residue i found. i then reassembled it and it fired right off and ran without a miss. I drove it around for about 10 minutes, and then decided i would take it down the road in high gear to see if i could "run" it out of fuel. I got 10ft off my driveway and it started spitting and sputtering ( figures right? ) so i got it back on my driveway and pushed the choke in to see if it would die out. It stayed running fine, so i continued to run it around. It did it one more time on me by my garage but it didn't clear up. So i let it sit for 5 minutes while i went to work on something else. Just for the **** of it when i walked by i turned the key with no choke and it fired right off. Been running fine since then.

the gas station in town has been having problems with their fuel tanks but that was months ago. Im not sure if maybe there was water in the fuel or what it was. but knock on wood it has been fine all night. Im trying to sell it because i don't need 2 tractors, i want it to run and work just as good for the next person as it did for me when i got it.

Thanks for the help, if it acts up again i'll be back with more questions,

Kody