Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    cub cadet 1450

Default Wont crank!

I have a cub cadet1450,last cutting sas on while attempding final cut, my tractor shut off. I'm not much of a mechanic but my frist thought was to check the carb for gas.All good there so then I checked for spark, none plus at this point I noticed my ignitieon switch wasnt working.Replaced my switch still nothing any ideas on what my problem is?

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

Default Re: Wont crank!

#1. Is your battery still charged..?? If it's not generating, then it could have ran the battery down.

#2 Battery connections. Could be loose, or corroded. Usually the ground.

#3 Safety switch for pto, or under the seat may be bad. A test light should let you know pretty quick, if you are getting juice back to the ign. switch.

Platinum Member

"won't crank" ?

Do you mean it won't turn over when you turn the key or do you mean it won't start when the starter is turning it over?

Technically "won't crank" means the starter is either not engaging or the engine is locked up tight and it won't rotate. But regionally, some folks use those words if the engine is spinning but not starting.

Tractor
    cub cadet 1450

Thanks DJ54 will be pulling the battery as soon as I get home. Whats a good method for checking pto switch?

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

to TBN!

Happy ing!
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Tractor
    cub cadet 1450

@ Ford Tractor, from the key it does nothing but with switch on and a jump from the starter it spins ovet fine just doesnt start.

Tractor
    JD2010, Kubota3450,2550, Mahindra 7520 w FEL w Skid Steer QC w/Tilt Tatch, & BH, BX1500

Quote Originally Posted by coyoteson1 View Post
    I have a cub cadet1450,last cutting sas on while attempding final cut, my tractor shut off. I'm not much of a mechanic but my frist thought was to check the carb for gas.All good there so then I checked for spark, none plus at this point I noticed my ignitieon switch wasnt working.Replaced my switch still nothing any ideas on what my problem is?
    Its the spark. What makes your spark?
    larry
    This side of 40
    JD2010, Kubota L3450/FEL w SK QC, L2550 w FEL
    Mahindra 7520 [Pinky] /FEL w Skid Steer QC/w Tilt Tatch & BH, BX1500 [Mighty Mouse]
    IH37 Baler, CCM165 Drum Mower, JD Rake
    JD 127 bushog, Flail, SK Tilt Tatch , KK tiller, Rhino rear blade, Post driver, post auger, chipper, pallet fork, Grapple/Loader Buddy, Homemade Splitter/DC Welder

Elite Member
    Tractor
    IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans

You did disengage the mower.., right..?? If so, there should be a safety switch under the seat. It should shut the engine off, when the pto is engaged, if you get off the seat.

A simple test light should let you know if your battery has some charge, or you are getting power to that switch. If you find power to it, check the other side, which should go to the ign., and see if power is going through the switch, with pto disengaged, with the ign. switch in the run position.

If there is a plug on the safety switch, you can run a jumper wire on the plug side, to see if the switch is bad.

As Ford Tractor mentioned, to some of us.. "not cranking" means the engine is not turning over. Even jumping it from another battery, I do believe the safety switch will kill the ignition.

The again, the plug may have simply unplugged itself from vibration. Stranger things have happened...!!

Tractor
    cub cadet 1450

I have looked and looked under my seat and there is no type of switch underneath. Today I pulled the battery out and fully charged it,removed ground cable and cleaned connection area as well as cleaned -and + cables. Double checked my installation of ignition switch and still it will not turn over by key and there is no spark from the plug(not firing).

Elite Member
    Tractor

I did not realize it is a hydro, and has electric pto. So hopefully if you follow this link, it will help you with your wiring, switches etc. It is at Cub Cadet.com, and this link shows you wiring diagram for the ignition & starting.
    ARIPartFinder

Here is the link to the main website, for Cub Cadet:Riding Mower, Lawn Tractor, Zero Turn Mower

I did check out the seat assy., and it does not show a safety switch. Possibly, the electric pto, and neutral safety switch are tied together.

I also googled a service manual for the 1450, and reprints show IH on the cover, so by that, I'm assuming it is a '78 model or older..??

I would follow the wire, off of #14 in the diagram, which I'm assuming is a solenoid, that goes to the neutral safety switch. Hard to say where it is, but shouldn't be that hard to trace. Check to see if you have power through the neutral safety switch. Then, if you have it at the ignition switch.

Note, #6 in the diagram is a 10 amp fuse. Definitely check that, as it is tied into the harness.

At least you have now a link to Cub Cadet, and if you go to the far right at the top and click on parts & service, select your model on the next page, then click on, select an assembly, you can find any part, at least in the diagram, and part number for your tractor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast