Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use?

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use? #1  

Big Wave D

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L35, Kubota B6200E
Hope this question is getting posted in the correct Forum Subsection. If not, please move to where it should be.

My question is about using one of those online Do It Yourself websites. These are a few examples: ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information - DIY Auto Repair | Do It Yourself Auto Repair | Chilton DIY - www.eautorepair.net (Mitchell1) - Haynes is the information resource for the DIY enthusiast (There online manuals) - Used Auto Parts - Car Parts - Truck Parts - Body Parts - Engines - Wheels - Bumpers - Lights (I think this is one also)

The above are some that I know about. They range from $12 - $30 dollars. That can be for a month or whole year.

I used the alldatadiy.com once. It was great for find where the grounds where that were causing my problems, but I didn't think it did very well for helping with other repairs and not the best for pictures or diagrams. It has been a couple of years ago, so they may have improved on this.

Do any of you use them and if so, which one?

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use? #2  
Hope this question is getting posted in the correct Forum Subsection. If not, please move to where it should be.

My question is about using one of those online Do It Yourself websites. These are a few examples: ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information - DIY Auto Repair | Do It Yourself Auto Repair | Chilton DIY - www.eautorepair.net (Mitchell1) - Haynes is the information resource for the DIY enthusiast (There online manuals) - Used Auto Parts - Car Parts - Truck Parts - Body Parts - Engines - Wheels - Bumpers - Lights (I think this is one also)

The above are some that I know about. They range from $12 - $30 dollars. That can be for a month or whole year.

I used the alldatadiy.com once. It was great for find where the grounds where that were causing my problems, but I didn't think it did very well for helping with other repairs and not the best for pictures or diagrams. It has been a couple of years ago, so they may have improved on this.

Do any of you use them and if so, which one?

Thanks for the feedback and advice.

About the only time I need a manual is for wiring schematics. And for that, Alldatadiy is what I use.

Most other things I can figure out how to do. And if I need specs or tolerances for something, like clearence specs or torque specs, usually a google search can turn up something for free. But I have never had any lick googling for wiring diagrams.

Not sure about the haynes online program, but I have a couple haynes books for some older cars (mid-late 1990's) and they also seem to have some pretty good wiring diagrams.

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use?
LD1,

I agree about the wiring diagrams. I thought that they did those quite well.

I did think they were lacking on guides for diagnosis and steps to follow when having to replace hard parts.

Thanks for the input.

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use? #4  
I use the computer based Alldata Repair and I really like it. Really is indispencible for working on or troubleshooting vehicles.

Okay, that's 2 for AllData.

I'm sensing a trend... :laughing:

Anyone else?

I guess that not many of you seem to utilize these types of services.

Is that because you all buy manuals for your given cars, trucks, and machinery?

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use? #7  
I guess that not many of you seem to utilize these types of services.

Is that because you all buy manuals for your given cars, trucks, and machinery?

Maybe I'm just old school, but for me it's easier to have the manual in front of me while I'm working instead of having to go back & forth to a computer (which is in the house). If I have a specific issue, I'll Google it, but for general repairs, tracing wiring, etc. it's just easier to have a manual on hand. I neither have nor particularly want a smartphone, tablet, or similar gadget.

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use? #8  
Most repairs are well beyond my diagnostic abilities or mechanical abilities and tool resource. Sooo the local shop does my work.

If I was doing the work myself and referencing say an Ipad fraid it would become pretty greasy.

Guess one could print out the screens applicable though!:)

/ Online Car Repair Guides, Which do you use? #9  
That's exactly why I like All Data so much. I print off the pages I need and can get them as greasy and dirty as I want and when they wear out, I print off another. Just can't do that in a regular manual.

I have to second what bbrown4804 said.

I print off what I am working on, then if they get totally filthy, I can just pitch them and print fresh.

I also tend to print off a few pages that I know I will look at more than once and save them in a folder. That way if subscription expires, I have important fact sheets to look back on.

Anyone ever use the Mitchell1 website?