Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #1  

JohnDeereFarm

Tractor
John Deere 2030 / 1950 Case DC / 1973 John Deere 4230
I'm about to put on another head gasket on my 1950 Case DC. I replaced the other one less than a year ago and now I'm replacing it again because I had to put new rings in my tractor. So I should replace, again, whiles the head is off. The problem is that I have been having been having oil seep out a little by where the push rods are. Also there has been a little oil is the water, but my dad told me that has been doing that for 40 years. I heard about this permatex copper spray-a-gasket, and when I got it, it didn't saying anything about how to put it on? Should I put it on tacky or dry it overnight then put it on? Also will this help fix my leaks? The head has probably never been right since it left the factory back in 1950, and probably has some irregularities to it.

Also one more question, What should I torque the head to on a 1950 Case DC ?

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #2  
For the sealer, you just let the propellant flash off and it's ready to go.

For the bolts, did you measure the breakaway torque when you disassembled? If the heads have been off a few times I would personally be looking for new fasteners.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #3  
I use it on my Harley head gaskets, typically I spray a fine uniform film on both side of the head gaskets, let it dry,then I apply another coat and let it dry before I install.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #4  
I'm about to put on another head gasket on my 1950 Case DC. I replaced the other one less than a year ago and now I'm replacing it again because I had to put new rings in my tractor. So I should replace, again, whiles the head is off. The problem is that I have been having been having oil seep out a little by where the push rods are. Also there has been a little oil is the water, but my dad told me that has been doing that for 40 years. I heard about this permatex copper spray-a-gasket, and when I got it, it didn't saying anything about how to put it on? Should I put it on tacky or dry it overnight then put it on? Also will this help fix my leaks? The head has probably never been right since it left the factory back in 1950, and probably has some irregularities to it.

Also one more question, What should I torque the head to on a 1950 Case DC ?

I spray the head gasket with the Permatex stuff, let it air dry for 5 minutes or so, and then install.

You should check the holes in the block where the head bolts are threaded in. Some of these are drilled through into the coolant channels in the block and you need to use thread sealer on the head bolt. I use red RTV sealant rated for high temperature use, but there are lotsa thread sealers you can use.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #5  
Everyone pretty much said what I would have.

Let it dry for just a few minutes. I personally dont know how well it works because I have no comparison, I have never done any without it.

And dont forget the thread sealant in the through-holes. I use the PTFE paste.

As to the torque, that has more to do with what bolts you use than the application. I would get new bolts and use the specs the MFG reccomends for the torque spec on the bolt. Most head bolts are designed to stretch a tad when torqued and thus arent supposed to be re-used. And how much torque to make them stretch that tad bit depends on the alloy of the bolt, and weather you install them dry or with a lube.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #6  
I would have the head and block checked for flatness. A warped head will not seal.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question
I would venture to say that the head has been out of this tractor three times in its life. So you guys say to replace the head bolts, I can see that. The nuts probably should been replaced to then.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #8  
What LD1 said.. plus, have the head checked for warpage, at least use a square or sheet of glass..use thread sealer or paste..I like using the Copper spray after it drys, has never failed me. I would replace the headbolts with at least grade five, unless the originals were higher. They stretch each time and you will know it when one of them softens or pullsapart..not worth it..

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #9  
I would venture to say that the head has been out of this tractor three times in its life. So you guys say to replace the head bolts, I can see that. The nuts probably should been replaced to then.

It's the stretch of the fastener that maintains the clamping load, so each time the bolt is cylced it loses strength. On chevy head bolts for example, you cannot even attain the torque spec if you try to reuse them once. They just keep stretching until they fail.

/ Permatex Copper Spray-A-Gasket Question and a Head Torque Question #10  
I would have the head and block checked for flatness. A warped head will not seal.

My thinking also.

Copper cote is only for steel gaskets dont know what that tractor has but if its composition dont use any "sealers".