Farmall A steering lost

/ Farmall A steering lost #1  

GlennA

Tractor
Farmall A, H 2AC-G's
My son was riding around the property on his "A" when he complained the steering was really hard to move or turn. I checked it out and was quite surprised, especially since it always worked just fine. I greased the zerk nipple on both ends. What is the most likely problem for this rookie tractor mechanic?

/ Farmall A steering lost #2  
I-H calls the spindle kingpin assembly the steering knuckle. Top and bottom of the vertical portions of the front axle extensions should have bushings top and bottom. Unless lubed frequently the steering knuckles can seize in these bushings making it hard to steer. The book also says to check the worm gear and it's bearings for wear. I'd raise each wheel, remove the tie rod from the steering knuckle, and see if you can turn the wheels freely. If they are not seized in the bushings, then it is Imelda to tear into the steering gear. I can scan pages from my service manual if you would like to see them.

/ Farmall A steering lost
that would really be great....an I appreciate it, thanks

/ Farmall A steering lost #4  
This post should contain all the information on the steering system for the Super A. I think I got every page that had any reference to the Super A but you will find a lot of other information on the pages referring to the I series. Those are tractors like the W-4, W-6, W-9 and their diesel siblings. I think one of the pages only had one little part pertaining to the Super A but that was an important picture showing how the gear comes apart if you need to dig into it that far. Some of the first files only show descriptions, pictures, and specifications but they may help.

Attachments

• img095.pdf
    163.4 KB · Views: 137
  • img096.pdf
    246.7 KB · Views: 152
  • img097.pdf
    147.1 KB · Views: 102
  • img098.pdf
    200.3 KB · Views: 101
  • img099.pdf
    192.7 KB · Views: 128
  • img100.pdf