King Kutter Blade Repair

/ King Kutter Blade Repair #1  

MHarryE

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota M7-171, M5-111, SVL75-2, RTV900XT & GR2120; CaseIH 1680 combine
I have a King Kutter Professional series 84" back blade. We had almost no winter but in February we finally had a snowfall where I had to reverse the blade so I could push in reverse. Wouldn't you know that that was the time that the part welded to the back of the blade pivot tube that holds the blade on plus allows it to pivot LH down or RH down broke off. When I drove forward I had no blade - it was lying in the snowbank. Not only that but this part is not loaded when pushing snow so the quadrant was not lying with the blade. It was somewhere in 1/2 mile of the snowbanks along my yard and drive. Fortunately we are now having July weather in March so the snowbanks have disappeared and I found my missing part. Note in the picture that the quadrant was welded to the tube over less than half of the circumference. The plate that you see on the back side is a cover plate that is welded over the end for appearance purposes but also keeps you from seeing it is not completely welded until it breaks. KK does not service the quadrant separately so I had drawn up a replacement to have a local machine shop build for me but waited for the snow to melt before taking that step. Here are pictures that show what happened. I put the quadrant below the pivot tube so you can see both parts in the same picture. The unpainted surfaces mate. You can see the failed weld in the detail picture.

Attachments

• KK01.jpg
    KK01.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 182
  • KK02.jpg
    KK02.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 181
  • KK03.jpg
    KK03.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 154
   / King Kutter Blade Repair #2  
Must have been made at the end of a Friday shift. Got half the weld done just as the stampede for the time clock started. Good news is no more snow for a while and it looks like an easy repair.

I have a newer version of the 84" KK Profesional blade and the tilt/pivot attachment is a bit different from what you have. Found a few big rocks last winter and bent up the lower hitch pins, but nothing else bent broke.

Hope you have better luck next winter!