shearbolts

/ shearbolts #13  
My Bush Hog 480 Squealer manual lists a grade 2 bolt.

/ shearbolts #14  
I use grade 2 also, most of the time. I have been told and what I use, is the marks on the bolt head. More marks, the higher the grade, so I use that when rummaging through old bolts if I need on.

/ shearbolts #15  
I have a 60" general busghog was wondering what is the best grade of bolt to use. currenly using grade 2

Follow the recommendation of the OEM that made your mower. They're the ones who know. Rental outdits don't really care about mower life. They turn them over after a fixed number of hours.
The average user wants long life and the OEM spec is what you should be following. Your time and the shear bolt are a lot cheaper than a new RC gear box and/or a tractor pto!

/ shearbolts #16  
Follow the recommendation of the OEM that made your mower. They're the ones who know. Rental outdits don't really care about mower life. They turn them over after a fixed number of hours.
The average user wants long life and the OEM spec is what you should be following. Your time and the shear bolt are a lot cheaper than a new RC gear box and/or a tractor pto!

That is good advice but after so many times from just hitting stools of some kind of swamp grass and replacing the bolt while getting eaten alive by mosquitoes I went one grade harder. It never sheared so I do not know what would have broken first but I was OK if it had been the U joint. :D

Life is about taking risks and hoping none are deadly.