shearbolts

/ shearbolts #1  

4520RX

Tractor
Branson 4520R
I have a 60" general busghog was wondering what is the best grade of bolt to use. currenly using grade 2

/ shearbolts #4  
My rotary cut is also a 60" not sure what grade the bolt is. When I went to TSC to get bolts they showed me the bolts to use.

/ shearbolts #5  
Grade 2 is a standard sheer bolt but will break under a small load. I use a grade 5 bolt with my mowers and they work a lot better, don't have to change them after hitting a gopher mound. Do NOT us grade 8 bolts, they will not break and cause a lot of damage to your mower.
Jeremy

/ shearbolts #6  
Grade 2 is a standard sheer bolt but will break under a small load. I use a grade 5 bolt with my mowers and they work a lot better, don't have to change them after hitting a gopher mound. Do NOT us grade 8 bolts, they will not break and cause a lot of damage to your mower.
Jeremy

I did the same but since I never sheared the grade 5 was concerned it was a bit too hard to shear.

/ shearbolts #8  
I have a 60" general busghog was wondering what is the best grade of bolt to use. currenly using grade 2

Owner's manuals generally recommend Grade 2.

However, my local rental center (5 locations) has moved to higher bolt
grades because they shear off cleaner (more brittle) than grade 2s. They
say that the grade 2s bend and squish a bit and are harder to replace.
They have replaced hundreds, if not thousands.

/ shearbolts #9  
My 47" blower uses Grade 5 bolts (came that way from the factory.)

/ shearbolts #10  
I have a 72" RC and use Grade 2 bolts. Based on my observations on the impact it takes to shear these G2 bolts I would not want to subject the RC to anymore abuse. @ 24-cents each it is cheap insurance and I can use the exercise.