Kabota D850 liner

/ Kabota D850 liner #1  

Adamsrepair

Tractor
Kabota RTV's, Kabota engines
I have a rebuilt several Kabota engines, 5 each D902 E3B, 2 each D1105 e.
I'm working on my first D850 out of a Lincoln welder, seemed pretty straight forward, found broken rings from use of starting fluid. Cylinders were a bit egg shaped and had some taper to them. Honed the cylinders like I have done before on other models, with a good Sunnen cylinder hone. The cylinders cleaned up to with in the allowable wear limits..every thing looked fine.
Finished assy. put on test run stand. Long story short had a problem a miss, smoke, and the like.
Ended up pulling the engine back apart, just to double check things, was inspecting the # 3 hole and could see near the bottom of the bore a funny pattern. Just in a small section of the bore. Looks like a shadow of machining marks, Course horizontal lines fading away into my hone pattern, not from the hone for sure. It is nice and smooth no pits or flaking. Can't feel it or even measure it.
Very faint need to hold the light and magnifying glass just right to see it.
But it has me wondering.

The liner could not be that thin, that I started to hone through it, could it? Anybody know the spec's on replacment liners for this engine??
Factory bore spec=2.8347" to 2.8354" Allowable limit= (+).0059" I'm at 2.836" after honing. And yes I use a good quality bore gauge to measure the cylinders, and cross check with a inside mic. I can't imagine the cylinder wore all to one side, and my honing to true the cylinder could be that far off from center line of the crank. Looking at the bottom of the block you can see the counter bore recess. and visually it looks even and centered. Also not that much material was removed??? Go figure..

Thanks

Last edited: