Welding on tractor

/ Welding on tractor #1  

Tvanharp

Tractor
Kubota L4330
Are there any dangers to welding on the tractor? AC current probably at 175 amps, keeping the ground clamp close with good contact.
Welding on the back blade attached to 3 pt. Need it up off the ground until its tacked. Thanks.

/ Welding on tractor #2  
Are there any dangers to welding on the tractor? AC current probably at 175 amps, keeping the ground clamp close with good contact.
Welding on the back blade attached to 3 pt. Need it up off the ground until its tacked. Thanks.

I dont see any harm at all. People say you should unkook the battery, but I usually never do. It really doesnt isolate the computer components so I just dont see the point.

And I have welded on bushhogs and backblades while on the tractor before and never had any problems.

Just 2 words of caution though:

1. Be mindful of where the fuel tank is.
2. Dont ground through any bearings or pivots. For example, dont clamp the ground on the blade and weld on the frame. Because you risk arcing through the pivot and welding it in place where it wont rotate.

/ Welding on tractor #3  

I just welded an angle and the hook on the FEL bucket on our Ford 4610. I kept the ground on the angle and welded it and the hook. I didn't bother disconnecting the battery and I have had no problems. I think you want to keep the welding circuit very close to what you are welding and not have any electronic devices "enclosed" by the welding circuit. I'm not a EE but I believe that to be a safe "rule of thumb" to avoid damaging electronic components. If somebody knows different, please speak up.

/ Welding on tractor #4  
Like mentioned, don't put your ground clamp where the current has to go through bearings. Other than that try not to set anything on fire. I don't weld on tractors much but implements and combines all to often, and combines are the nasty things because of chaff that easily catches on fire and the large number of bearings scattered all over.

/ Welding on tractor #5  
General rule in welding plant etc with Electronic is to remove the positive lead and ground it. This stops stray currents tyring to go were they shouldn't. \

This is for saftey of those $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Better in your pocket than in others

/ Welding on tractor #6  
If you are welding part of a 3pt attachment and clamping the ground near the bead -- should be no problems at all. :thumbsup: Just clean it up good and weld straight!

(and post up some pictures of before and after -- we like pictures!:laughing:)

/ Welding on tractor
I removed the blade from the 3 pt before I welded. But will need to weld a hook on the bucket so good advice. Was using Forney 7018 1/8" rods and running at 150 or 135 amps depending on thickness also made multiple passes on the thick stuff. This was my first project after practicing on every scrap I could find in my shop. The welds weren't perfect but I know I got good penetration still dealing

ForumRunner_20120330_191336.png

ForumRunner_20120330_191344.png

ForumRunner_20120330_191356.png

ForumRunner_20120330_191419.png

ForumRunner_20120330_191430.png

with a bit of spatter though. Using Lincoln 225 amp AC.
I attached some pics. Thanks for the advise

/ Welding on tractor #8  

i've welded on just about every tractor I own. some had alts, some didn't.. some i thought about removing bat or alt cables.. some i did, some i didn't.

none had problems.

your call...

/ Welding on tractor #9  
You should unhook the battery but I never do on my machines, never had an issue. When welding on someone elses then I unhook the battery(probably wasting my time). As others have said hook as close as possible try not to fun the current through bearing and such.

Tvanharp, why are you using the 7018 rod instead of 6011? Just curious, I have used both but for most welds I've found 6011 to be a much better choice, easier to work with and cleaner. For cast steal and such then the 7018 comes out and I treat it much like I would if it were cast iron.

/ Welding on tractor #10  
I always unhook the battery when I weld on the tractor.