JD Parts Inquiry

/ JD Parts Inquiry #1  

wacokid

Tractor
John Deere 3038E
I've been lurking around for over a year but finally had to jump in and for a question. I have a brand new Frontier Rotary Tiller I picked up from my local Deere Dealer a couple months ago. I don't have five hours on it and the gear housing broke in half. The quoted price is pretty steep. Anybody have any ideas for aftermarket help? The repair is half the cost of a new one. The shaft and gears are fine, it's just the cast metal housing between the shaft and the tiller. I want to be loyal to the dealer but since I am fairly new to this stuff and it's more hobby than anything I want to make sure I'm not throwing money away on something I can patch myself. Thanks!
67078b03.jpg

0c422baf.jpg

/ JD Parts Inquiry #2  
Should have a 1 year warranty.
What is the dealer saying on that?

/ JD Parts Inquiry #3  
Ouch. I'm gonna assume it was a pto length issue, or other operator error, since you aren't concerned about a warrenty claim. We've all been there, how a person learns, but just heading off the inevitable line of qurestions you'll get... ;)

You'd have to search through the industrial supply places to find the same housing. Obviously JD buys these gearboxes from some gearbox company, but typically they try to have an exclusive on them and keep the relationship from the public. That way they can do a 50-100% marhup on the replacement parts. (Actually JD buys the tillers wholesale from some manufaturer, and the tiller maker buys the gearcases wholesale from some gearcase making company, so you can try to figure out similar tiller brandnames, or the gearcase co to begin with....)

So, the chore is to figure out what gearbox manufaturer you need to get it from, and then find a retailer that can get the part from the wholesale gearcase company.

Sometimes more hassle than it's worth.

Hopefully someone here can tell you who makes the tillers for JD, and see what other brandnames get tillers from that same company, and you can look to those other brands. The Fronteer line esp, will end up being a Woods or Brady or some such painted green....

Man that bottom pic gives new meaning to 'tore it a new one' doesn't it? Ouch.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Edit: This thread might give some leads: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/attachments/194024-john-deere-frontier-tiller-info-2.html

--->Paul

/ JD Parts Inquiry #4  
Have you contacted the dealer? If so, what did he say?

Since it's a brand new unit, what ever you do...don't try to repair it until you've had resolution from Deere. I expect they'll replace it.

I'm gonna assume it was a pto length issue...
If that's the case, be glad it was the tiller that broke. The tractor repair would be a lot more expensive!

/ JD Parts Inquiry
I'm not sure if it was a pto length issue. I purchased it with the tractor so and I trust the guy new what he was selling me. Not having much experience with tractors it was very difficult for me getting the tiller on and off. There was hardly any slack in the shaft with it on. I successfully tilled over 5 acres for a food plot and literally on the last pass I guess my turn was too sharp and I did not have the tiller completely out of the ground and it snapped. Did I have a misconfiguration, did I put it in the bind turning, I don't know and I am happy to take blame if it was my fault but it sure would be nice to get it under warranty. I just took them the shaft with the broke end to look up the parts but they need me to bring the whole implement in. It may be a week or so before I can get it to them since it's 140 miles away. Thanks for the quick responses!

/ JD Parts Inquiry #6  
If they sold you the tractor and tiller together, and did not catch it or go through the set up with you, I would say you have a valid warranty claim.

Call the salesman that sold it to you and be firm.

/ JD Parts Inquiry
Dealer says they are going to try and take care of it. I'm glad they are for many reasons but local owners and reputation are 90% why I picked them. Thanks guys for helping my shake the tractor newbie idiot feeling.

/ JD Parts Inquiry
Brazos Valley in Waco called today and told me they had it fixed and under warranty. I'm sorry I ever doubted their commitment. I am pleased with the outcome and will send as much business their way as I can. I am also thankful John Deere did their part. Now, back to work...:)

/ JD Parts Inquiry #9  
I hope they fixed the cause as well as the result. Did they tell you why it broke?
Jim

/ JD Parts Inquiry #10  
.. if you ever get into that bind again, Deere does not OEM most of the frontier stuff so you can usually buy it from whoever builds it cheaper. Most of it is Woods, but that does not look like a Woods gearbox. Some people have found that mower blades as stuff are 30% cheaper buying from Woods than Deere.