Deere 317 will not start

/ Deere 317 will not start #1  

Johndeere3720

Padawan Tractor Learner, Advertiser
Tractor
Bobcat T62, MT55, E42R, E10, John Deere 4100
Well, I should have known it was coming, the battery finally gave way on my 317 last night. It took a while to figure out how it comes out and I am in a pickle, the boom must be raised to remove the battery. :confused2: How am I supposed to raise the boom if I cant even start it? I have no other machine around capable of lifting the boom either. I tried jumping it with both the battery on the pickup and a booster and when you turn the key you get nothing. First time i went to start it i got a long beep when i tried to start it and now nothing. The gauges do turn over now when you're in the seat however the head lights will not come on. So what do I do now? I know i need a new battery, i had one that I though might work but it is too small so that's out of the question. How do I remove the old battery? The only way I could see it coming out is tipping it on its side which would get battery acid all over so I would prefer not to go that route. I believe I have an error code off of it, F9D5 which I browsed through the manual and found nothing. Any ideas guys? :confused:

/ Deere 317 will not start #2  
Maybe flip the machine on its side and cut a inspection hole with a sawsall.

/ Deere 317 will not start #3  
Have you actually tested the battery? It should start if you are boosting it, so I would think that you probably have a bad connection (dirty connections) and that is stopping it from turning over.

/ Deere 317 will not start
Have you actually tested the battery? It should start if you are boosting it, so I would think that you probably have a bad connection (dirty connections) and that is stopping it from turning over.

I will have to check again, the connections appeared clean but I will take a wire brush to them to make sure. I will also wire brush the ground cable. :)

You can see by the pictures what kinda space i have to work with, the battery will not come out with the boom down. :confused2: Poor design if you ask me. :ashamed:

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 2,359
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 7,363
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    394.4 KB · Views: 1,226
   / Deere 317 will not start #6  
Man, That is tight. I can't believe JD did not see that coming. How many machines blow a battery with the boom up? Very bad design.:thumbdown:

Okay guys, last night I went out and cleaned the battery cables, terminals, and the ground with a wire brush. Hooked the battery back up along with the booster and got in the cab, still no response from the switch. By now I was stumped, so i put everything away for the night. I kept thinking about where else i hadn't looked and then I realized why didn't I look in the fuse box? When i turned the key it usually made at least a click which was the solenoid engaging. However it wasn't doing that plus the lights would not come on. Of course it was already dark out when I thought about it so this morning I went out and took off the fuse box cover to see what the fuses looked like.

Continued in next post....

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 2,852
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 2,599
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 1,210
I pulled out the first fuse which goes to the ignition switch. Once I saw it i had to pull out the second one to compare. :laughing: As you can see, this is why my ignition switch was doing nothing. So I knew I had some extra fuses, I went in the garage and found out i had atleast 5 brand new fuses. So I grabbed one of the new fuses, stuck it in, and put the key in the ignition. Without the booster, she fired right up. :D:cool: So i pulled it out of the barn, took the bucket off, and parked it out of the way with the boom up so I could pull out the battery. I keep having to jump it so I am still getting a new battery but i am so glad I got everything figured out. :D:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 3,539
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    382.7 KB · Views: 577
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 444
Last edited:
   / Deere 317 will not start #9