mtd drive belt replacement

/ mtd drive belt replacement #1  

AroniaFarmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T603 52' Ford 8N
Hi I have a Yard Machines/mtd yard tractor and it broke its drive belt. (It has the short drive belt not the long one from the engine).

I bought the new replacement belt and what ever I do I cant get it on. I have even taken the drive pulley off in an attempt to get it on but I was not successful. any tips? or should I just take it to a lawn tractor repair shop and have them put the new belt on somehow:mad::mad::mad:

/ mtd drive belt replacement #2  
Are you sure they didn't give you the wrong belt? Did you get a genuine MTD or a standard sized belt? It doesn't take much difference to give you fits.

/ mtd drive belt replacement
no it was just a standard belt

oh I remember they gave me a belt about half a inch to big I believe because they didnt have the right size

/ mtd drive belt replacement #5  
If you can't get it on by taking a pulley off you got the wrong belt and I suspect it is shorter than the correct on not longer. longer will go on and slip shorter (sometimes even a little ) will not go on. Before you spend good money get the right belt. I'll bet you can get it on.

/ mtd drive belt replacement #6  
If it is the MTD variable drive system with the double cone pulley in the midldle you need to get both factory belts and go through the process of setting the selector position and clutch adjustment for it to work well.

David Kb7uns

It is a 7 trans axle that has one pully going to it. It is directly under the seat