Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #1  

Short Game

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300
It started doing this a while back and I adjusted the hi screw and it seemed okay the next couple of times I used it. Now I can't get it to run at more than half throttle at all. Plug looks good and it cuts as well as could be expected at half throttle. Air filter has been cleaned. Anyone been through this?

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #2  
Two possibilites. Carb needs a rebuild, or a bad ignition. Could be either.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #3  
I had a problem like this with a Stihl after cleaning it. Turned out I did not reinstall the air filter right and it wasn't fully seated. Opening the throttle it would die as it was not getting enough air.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #4  
Any evidence of excessive oil out of the muffler? The mixture adjustment may have just been the crutch of a fouled muffler.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #5  
If the spark plug is brown check the muffler/spark arrester. If it is plugging, it can cause your symptoms. If plug is white, you have a mixture problem.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened
Thanks everyone. I hope I get this sorted as I need the saw today before the rains return.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #7  
Do a complete check of the intake boot, if it has an air leak it will behave as you described.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #8  
I think your fuel mixture is too lean. There could be several reasons for this. If the HI needle is your mixture back it out 1/4 turn at a time and see if that helps.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened
Both the hi and the lo screws have stops on them that limit them to only a partial turn. I've never seen a setup like that.

This problem came on intermittently. When I finally couldn't get it to go away with the hi an lo adjustments, I checked the plug and air filter. The filter didn't look clogged, but I blew it clean anyway. That's when I noticed that the screws have plastic stops on them. I could not get the throttle problem fixed at any settings on the screws.

/ Husqvarna 460 dies if throttle is opened #10  
Do a complete check of the intake boot, if it has an air leak it will behave as you described.

my husqvarna 350 saw went back to the dealer 3 times with a "boot" leak. (under warrenty) it would make mine race and also start very hard. the dealer finally got it fixed and it has been a great saw for me. cut over 400 face cord of fire wood with it and still going. now my 455 rancher after i run it and refuel it, will start hard sometimes. need to hold the throttle and pull start it at the same time and it fires right up.

i am no expert, but also check for cracked fuel lines and in the lines in the fuel tank. chainsaws are noted for this problem from time to time.

ps. you can take them limiting sets on the jet screws adjusts off. i don't recommend doing it unless you know what you are doing.