Tractor
    John Deere LT 133/ford f9

Default Hooked battery up backwards JD LT 133

I bought a new battery for my John Deere LT 133 and did not pay attention to the + and - posts. They were reversed. Wire started smoking, got the correct battery, and the wires still smoke when I try to hook it up. The key is off. How bad have I screwed it up?

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Default Re: Hooked battery up backwards JD LT 133

I would check the fuse panel and the wiring harness. There may be damage to the alternator. A lot depends on the length of time that you turned the ignition. Just a thought? Best wishes.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Tractor
    John Deere 2030, John Deere 6415

Sounds like the alternator diodes are ruined.
    John Deere 2030 JD 245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 mfwd JD 640SL Loader

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

A friend of mine tried jumping his tractor and hooked up the jumper cables backwards. Blew some fuses, but that was all. Where is the smoke coming from? Both wires? Ground wire? Alternator?
    Deano
    2006 BX24, 6' New Implements rake, Woods RB60 rear blade, Wallenstein thumb, Bro-Tek rear skid plate, home made front skid plate, W.R. Long flat tooth bar, 4' finishing mower (TPH), 4' box blade, post hole digger, New style seat!!!!! Country Manufacturing manure spreader, Agri-Fab drop spreader.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300

Hard to guess your particulars, but that's the thing with DC. Many components and devices are extremely intolerant of reversed battery polarity. Whether its a tractor, or your TV remote, we don't want to make that mistake. Bad things can happen. Today, more and more things are controlled electronically. Any of these circuits can be subject to catastrophic damage and expensive repairs. Don't ask me how I know. Good luck.
    The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
    ...but it plays one on TV.

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

My bet is it either blew the fuse to the alternator, or if unfused, it burned the diodes out in the alternator..Sometimes it will blow instruments and the tach.. I did this to one of my boats ..
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    wheel horse c-100

john deere shows your model not having an alternator but having a stator thats runs directly off the motor it can only be found by removing top cover of motor and it generates power by the spinning of the motor if this is the problem they can be bought or can be rewound. it does show it to have a regulator which john deere will have in stock possibly it is burned up but also look for fuses burnt wire possibly relays or some other type of switch that could be in-line with the charging system. if yours does have an alternator it will be a permanent magnet model will look like an alternator but very pancake look it can also be burnt also good luck

Tractor
    John Deere LT 133/ford f9

I cant see exactly where the smoke was coming from. It seemed to come from below the solenoid. It wasn't the ground or positive wire, there was a little black wire that was extremely hot to the touch. I could not see exactly where it went. I needed a flashlight and didn't have one handy. I believe something is welded together as I cant hook the battery up correctly without it heating up and smoking. I think it is something to do with the ignition system, but I wont be able to get into it until next weekend.