Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move!

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #1  

hitechluddite

Tractor
Massey ferguson 231S
I have to chalk this up as stupid tax. I was hooking up my 3pt tiller and had to move the tractor about an inch to line it up. I let out the clutch in low range low gear with the parking brake engaged and I heard a POP and that was it. No motion now in any gear, even with the diff lock pedal engaged. The clutch and trams act normal as does the PTO. I'm praying that there is a shear pin or some such thing in a drives shaft that can be accessed without tearing the whole rear end down. I'm getting a service manual sent now, anybody have any words of wisdom, seen or heard of this happening before. the tractor is about 6yrs old with 300hrs of mostly medium, light bush hog work.

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #2  
Remove the transmission filler plug and check if your gears are turning. Could be that a shear pin in the rear housing has sheared, if the gears are still turning. Could be a broken input shaft or clutch if nothing is turning inside the gear box.

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #3  
I would be shocked if moving the tractor with the brake on caused a major failure!

Is this machine in warranty or is it an older one? (Not a Massey person)

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #4  
Not a Massey person either, but - wow, if that caused a tractor to break, I'd have broken several 100 tractors in my farming career!

That was some fluke, don't know that it was really something you are at fault for.

--->Paul

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #5  
If the range selector was not fully in gear the strain might have popped it into neutral.

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #6  
There is a sleeve coupler that connects the main power shaft, to the pinion shaft in the center housing. The only thing that holds it in place is a large cotter pin. The cotter pin hole, is actually centered between the shafts, and there is no presure on it to cause it to shear. But, if not spread on the end properly, it will drop out, and cause the sleeve to slide one way or the other, disengaging the shafts.

Another fellow had a similar problem a year or so ago. I suggested he check that coupler, and sure enough, that was the problem.

I tried to print, and scan the picture of the diff. assy., but the AGCO site is not being user friendly this morning for some reason.

Here is the AGCO partsbook link: AGCO Parts Books if you want to look at the diff. assy. yourself. Enter as a guest, type in you model. (231) then select 231S in the menu. Look at the exploded view of Rear Axle Diff. housing. Then look for part #41 or #42.

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #7  
The couplar that you need to change is under seat. Take it off then remove the top and couplar is replacable. 2762985533. ask for dave. easy fix.

/ Massey Ferguson 231S I snapped something now it won't move! #8  
This thread is three years old, im guessing he has it fixed by now.