Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #1  

VulturesRow

Tractor
'52' Ferguson TO-30
Anyone ever replace the head gasket on a TO30?

My tractor does not use a whole lot of oil, maybe one quart every 3 weeks or so........not a huge expense, but I would like to replace the gasket sometime in the next couple of weeks. For the average Joe, should I attempt or let a mechanic take care of this? I have a really good knowledge of my tractor and it's inner workings and think that I could handle the job............

What do you think??

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #2  
Anyone ever replace the head gasket on a TO30?

My tractor does not use a whole lot of oil, maybe one quart every 3 weeks or so........not a huge expense, but I would like to replace the gasket sometime in the next couple of weeks. For the average Joe, should I attempt or let a mechanic take care of this? I have a really good knowledge of my tractor and it's inner workings and think that I could handle the job............

What do you think??

Why do you think that changing the head gasket will reduce the oil consumption? That's usually caused by piston rings that have lost oil control or worn valve guides/seals. Do you mean the valve cover gasket is leaking oil externally? Either job is easy to accomplish. You have to drain and remove the fuel tank to do it.

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket
Why do you think that changing the head gasket will reduce the oil consumption? That's usually caused by piston rings that have lost oil control or worn valve guides/seals. Do you mean the valve cover gasket is leaking oil externally? Either job is easy to accomplish. You have to drain and remove the fuel tank to do it.

Yes, my bad..........the valve cover gasket is leaking oil externally. I would REALLY like to clean the tractor up some. This is the ONLY area on the tractor that is leaking.

I have heard that if you take the valve cover off, you run the risk of goofing up the valves and how they are situated...........

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #4  
Yes, my bad..........the valve cover gasket is leaking oil externally. I would REALLY like to clean the tractor up some. This is the ONLY area on the tractor that is leaking.

I have heard that if you take the valve cover off, you run the risk of goofing up the valves and how they are situated...........

Not so...you would have to take multiple wrenches/hammers/screwdrivers to your valves/springs/nut adjusters, etc to "goof" up your valves...however, if you take off the valve cover, you might as well adjust the valves while you're there...also get a new valve cover gasket when you replace the cover...BobG in VA

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #5  
I agree with BobG. Not a hard task at all. :thumbsup:

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket
Not so...you would have to take multiple wrenches/hammers/screwdrivers to your valves/springs/nut adjusters, etc to "goof" up your valves...however, if you take off the valve cover, you might as well adjust the valves while you're there...also get a new valve cover gasket when you replace the cover...BobG in VA

Looks like I know that I am doing this weekend. Thanks for the info!!

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #7  

Who ever told you that didn't know what they were talking about! You have to remove the valve cover to be able to adjust the valves , but removing the cover won't cause your valves to go out of adjustment.

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #8  
I think I actually need to replace the head gasket on my TO30. It constanty overheats, blows out the overflow on the radiator. I talked to the fellow that rebuilt it so time ago and he said there was nothing wrong with it. I know better. I just removed the valve cover and have white foam around the top. there are several big drops of water around the top of the head. The water pump pulley housing refered to as the drive shaft support has a rectangular hole in the bottom that spews water as well, this looks like a factory hole. The impeller blades look good. I checked the thermostat and it is in good working condition. I am at a loss. The tractor runs good until it gets hot, I'm afraid I will crack the head or the block if I haven't already. I could use some good advice.

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #9  
Usually a water pump that's leaking coolant needs a rebuild, or more likely replacement nowadays. I assume since you inspected the impeller you've had the pump off. I'd just replace it - under $50 I think.
White foam could be from an underused or run-cool engine - have you worked it hard recently? Changed the oil recently?
You could have a crack head or block, or bad head gasket, but start with the simple stuff. Radiator clean inside and out? All hoses in good shape (not collapsed)? T-stat checked with a hot-water test (or replaced)?
If you can't run it hard because it overheats, and you've tried all the above (which would not hurt anyway assuming you'll be fixing this old girl up), then it's time for a bigger tear-down.
Jim

/ Ferguson TO30 Head Gasket #10  
Thanks Jim
I checked the thermostat in boiling water with a working thermometer, it is good. All hoses are good. I have a few small leaks in the radiator. I am going to take it to a shop and have it repaired properly, previous flushing shows it has good flow. I have the valve cover, and intake and exhaust manifolds off. The next step is the head, Can I remove it with the rocker arm and all valve components in tact or do I have to remove them first. I have mechanical background, but this is new to me.