Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Highly modified Shaw N5

Default Re: Ran engine without oil, what now?

Rings are first to go in a gas engine. Your fuel gave some lube to the rings. Bearings are tough. Oil pressure OK? Like they said magnet on oil filter. Magnetic oil plug. Use the engine on light loads and just listen to it. If it sounds ok then you may never have a problem.

Clint

Tractor
    Kubota B3000HSDC, Kubota L4330, Kubota RTV 1100

My two experiences with main bearing failure were: 1) in a Pontiac my brother had 40 years ago. It was making a loud regular thud, then stopped dead. We were towing it home when his "friend" who was steering it popped the clutch to "see what would happen" and the engine blew apart; 2) I had a 20 year old International pickup and was stopped at a light when the engine did the same thing, after years of thudding. I had it towed home and installed a used engine, swapping enough parts to make it work.
    I would cautiously continue running the tractor while monitoring for unusual noises.

Tractor
    Kubota l245dt, l3540, 8N

If you were using a good syn oil then I would just flush the system, change the filter, install magnets, and refile with a good syn oil. If you were using just reg oil then I would do the same but take it easy for a few hours and see what happens! Good luck and keep us posted!
    "keep them pots black, shiny, and full of good Food and Fellowship!"
    Moore Cookie

Southern Ca. halfway up a mountain in rural Ramona.
    Tractor
    273 TYM. 2009 //Scotts L2048

Hi, I mean no hijack of this thread but LD1 & Moored4 you both mentioned something that perked my interest & curiousity...keeping a magnet on your oil filter? I've never heard of that and it's an interesting thought. Meant to keep any shavings at bottom of filter? I assume. How strong of a magnet is needed...to remain on an oil filter that is bouncing around like a tractor often does? Do you believe it's effective in extending your vehicles lifespan? If I thought that I could get a magnet to stay/remain on my filter I'd sure try it. Thanks for the thought. Greg

Tractor
    Kubota L-35 Loader/Backhoe

Well, bad news. It ran OK for a couple of minutes and then started squealing with a metal on metal sound. Looks like a rebuild is in my future. Thanks everyone for your input.

Now, is this a job for the dealer, or should I look for an independent?

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Magnet can be on the side or end of filter..Some hyd. filters have one inside..transmission pans have them inside..Drain plugs were available. Used them for years as a little more insurance? one of mine came from an old speaker?
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    kubota L3000dt, ford 8n1952

Quote Originally Posted by treynolds4961 View Post
    Well, bad news. It ran OK for a couple of minutes and then started squealing with a metal on metal sound. Looks like a rebuild is in my future. Thanks everyone for your input.

That sound is still better than the hammering of a spun or locked bearing in a rod...
    Okay, Legal disclaimer: Old but not senile, definitely do not have the answer to everything!

Tractor
    Kubota l3400

Quote Originally Posted by treynolds4961 View Post

Thats unfortunate. I'd get a price at your dealer, but would probabally go independent. Because the dealer will probabally handle the rebuild, they will have to outsource the machine work most likely. So if you find an engine shop that does their own machine work it might save you.

But ask around. Ask some local farmers or even some car buffs. Good engine shops dont usually advertize because they get all the business they want from reputation/word or mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Gregster613 View Post
    Hi, I mean no hijack of this thread but LD1 & Moored4 you both mentioned something that perked my interest & curiousity...keeping a magnet on your oil filter? I've never heard of that and it's an interesting thought. Meant to keep any shavings at bottom of filter? I assume. How strong of a magnet is needed...to remain on an oil filter that is bouncing around like a tractor often does? Do you believe it's effective in extending your vehicles lifespan? If I thought that I could get a magnet to stay/remain on my filter I'd sure try it. Thanks for the thought. Greg
    While I have no proven data, they certainly cant hurt.

I choose the filter for where I put them, because if I stick it on the oil pan, I cannot get the stuck stuff out without taking the pan off. The filter just gets tossed every oil change along with all the metallic particals.

For magnets, I have scrapped a lot of cars over the years. The permanent magnets in the electric fans on newer cars are pretty powerful and thats what I use. And they arent hard to get to.

I also use the ring magnet from my hydraulic filter. I save them every fluid change.
    ".........there is only one way to find out."
    "Ok, hold my beer and watch this.........."

Ford 5500 Backhoe
    Kubota L3400GST W/LA463 FEL
    2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 Diesel
    8N Rebuilt and restored
    Bushhog 306
    3 Homemade wood hauling trailers
    Dolmar 6400 84cc ported
    Sachs-Dolmar 120SI Ported
    (4) Sachs-Dolmar 116SI Ported
    Dolmar PS540
    Sachs-Dolmar 115i
    Sachs-Dolmar 117
    Sachs-Dolmar 112

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2516

Since it is out of warranty I'd get a price from both a dealer and independent mechanic. See how they warranty their work and go from there. I'd pay more for a great mechanic that will stand behind the work.

Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II

I'd screw on a new filter, put new oil and a can of seafoam into the crank case. Run it for a bit (what ever that sea foam can sez), then change oil and filter again. Mit as well get all the gunk out of there while you are at it. I think you can consider yourself lucky and quick reaction saved the engine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast