Ran engine without oil, what now?

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #21  
I would drop the pan & check the rod bearings they are usally the first to go from lack of oil.
Inspect the crank journals for scoring. The journal condition will dictate the extent of repair.
After you know what you need you may want to check E-bay, I've seen hundreds of kubota engines and engine parts there.

good Luck!

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #22  
Look at the bright side, you'll have a fresh new engine to run. Just hope the block isn't damaged.
The magnet idea is a great one, wish I knew where to buy 2 or three.

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #23  
I did a quick Google and came up with plenty of places that will take your money!
'magnetic oil plug' and 'magnetic oil filter'

Where I worked they had them for all the can filters and each time we changed them out they used a new one and some one always recycled the old ones to a goverment job, :laughing: I have a supply that should last me a while! :thumbsup: All of my oil pans I put the mag plugs in, Its just a good tat- ta- tell when you do an oil change! :)

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #24  
I took apart about 30 computer hard drives in the past month. In part it is easier to take the hard drives apart then to suffer days of running disk wipe zero and ones. The magnets that surround the head arms are strong. Really strong if you have a multi-platter hard disk. I tossed the magnets out in the recycling efforts but there are a few stray magnets laying around. The problem is it takes a supply of old hard drives and a small torx screwdriver set.

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #25  
Ok, maby I am just not thinking right about this magnet on the filter thing. Engine bearings won't stick to a magnet. If I am getting metal shavings from somthing I want them to be stuck to the drain plug so I will see them and figure out where they are comming from. Also if the shavings are stuck to the drain plug they won't be going through the oil pump before getting to the filter and scoreing the pump.
Bill

Last edited:
   / Ran engine without oil, what now? #26  
I did a quick Google and came up with plenty of places that will take your money!
'magnetic oil plug' and 'magnetic oil filter'

Where I worked they had them for all the can filters and each time we changed them out they used a new one and some one always recycled the old ones to a goverment job, :laughing: I have a supply that should last me a while! :thumbsup: All of my oil pans I put the mag plugs in, Its just a good tat- ta- tell when you do an oil change! :)

My wife, I love her, :) BUT

There is a 'they do it' oil change house and a automatic car wash place' right next to each other in our town and their thang is if you go to one you get a discount at the other. So my wife thanks that she will save me some time and trouble and gets the works! :mad: She does this during the hay season and I admit I'm busy! The wash job is not that bad but they use the wrong oil (its not royal purple) and the next time I climb under the rig "You guessed It" the mag plug has been replaced with a plane one! :mur:

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #27  
100' with no oil is not far. You have to remember there was a film of oil on everything in the motor when the oil drained out.

Remember all the super oil stuff they sold in the 90's like Slick 50? A pilot buddy of mine was parting out a V6 Mercury Cougar in 1995 and I went to his house to see a demo he did. He was convinced all these additives were a joke and the demos they did on TV were on engines at a stable rpm and temp so no rapid cooling and heating. So what he did was start the car and ran it up to 2000 rpm. After the temp was stable he pulled the drain plug with it running. He left it at 2000 rpm and it ran for over 15 minutes. The only way he was able to get the motor to fail was rev it up and down from idle to about 5500 rpm and that took a good 10 minutes.

All in all the motor ran for 30 minutes without oil just fine.

I would run it for 1 hour and change the oil again. Then run it for maybe 10 hours and change it again then go back to your regular change interval.

Chris

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #28  
I'm not sure what goes first when the oil pump fails, but I though it was cam bearings?

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #29  
Well guess I should have read the whole tread before responding. Sorry to hear about your engine.

Chris

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #30  
Ok, maby I am just not thing right about this magnet on the filter thing. Engine bearings won't stick to a magnet. If I am getting metal shavings from somthing I want them to be stuck to the drain plug so I will see them and figure out where they are comming from. Also if the shavings are stuck to the drain plug they won't be going through the oil pump before getting to the filter and scoreing the pump.
Bill

All of mine have the magnet on the plug also. The filter magnet is just added measure.

And yes, the bearing COATING wont stick to a magnet, but just about everything else does. Ring wear, cam/lifter, valve guides, rockers, oil pump itself, timing gear/chain, etc.

Seeing what sticks does little to help diagnosis. I imagine it looks like that little bit of VERY fine particles that stick to the drainplug magnet. Not very helpful in determining where it came from.

Again, I have no proof of any benefit, But I figure it isnt hurting anything. What sticks to the plug will still remain there. But I figure if any of those tiny particles reach the filter, at least I can "help" ensure they stay there and not circulate back into the engine.