Ran engine without oil, what now?

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #31  
If its any consolation all your damage was done with the initial oil loss, not running it afterwards with fresh oil. So when you replace the crankshaft, it was scrap at the end of your 100 feet.

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #32  
If its running and there is a loud squeal, it may be a cam bearing. Loss of oil usually seems to affect those before the main bearings. (from my experience)

Chuck.

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #33  
Kuboda L 245 My oil filter came loose and all the oil drained out before I noticed it ,I heard a clacking and shut it down ,I refilled the oil and tightened the filter ,but now when the tractor warms up it clacks a bit more than normal. Plus its hard to start when it warm turns over slow .not shure if I damaged it

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #34  
Kuboda L 245 My oil filter came loose and all the oil drained out before I noticed it ,I heard a clacking and shut it down ,I refilled the oil and tightened the filter ,but now when the tractor warms up it clacks a bit more than normal. Plus its hard to start when it warm turns over slow .not shure if I damaged it

Clacks bad.... probably took out rod bearing on crankshaft...

Dale

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #35  
This is a 6 year old thread...

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #36  
I would NOT continue to run it until I had it checked out by a diesel mechanic...

It sounds like there's more than minor damage done to me...

SR

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #38  
Then same advice- don't run it until a mechanic checks it out. Hard starting warm is an indicator of trouble now and to come, especially if not dealt with correctly.

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #39  
Hey I appreciate the help. I change the oil and looked at the oil for filings. I dragged a rare earth magnet through the oil and found nothing. The tractor is relatively new to me. The weird thing is is when you turn at the right front wheel rubs against the oil filter and spins off the filter . So I知 gonna have to devise a guard to protect that from happening again. I gave the engine another complete oil change end it seems to be running smooth without any issue at all. This is my first diesel engine and I知 not that familiar with the clocking noises. After dumping 4 L of oil on the ground and driving about 50 feet before I knew it I was fearful of a destroy the engine. It seems I may have been very very lucky. Again to all of you thank you for this blog.

/ Ran engine without oil, what now? #40  
Do you have the correct oil filter on it ? A pervious owner might of installed a incorrect one. Perhaps its to long, thus the tire rubbing.