Replace rusty # 40 chain

/ Replace rusty # 40 chain #1  

RRILEY

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deer 2520
I need to replace some chain on an attachment and the manual calls for #40 X 128 PITCHES, or #40 X 132 PITCHES, and another # 40 X 6 PITCH W/CON.
This is for a Land Pride OS 1548 and the chain drives the seed cups and the agitator for the seed box.
What is the explanation for the PITCHES?
Here is a cell phone pic , but the chain is not exposed.

Attachments

• IMG_20120325_102951.jpg
    IMG_20120325_102951.jpg
    687.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20120325_102926.jpg
    IMG_20120325_102926.jpg
    738.4 KB · Views: 151
   / Replace rusty # 40 chain
That was my thought but I want to ask for advise.I do not want to assume. Thanks

/ Replace rusty # 40 chain #4  
Pitch is the distance between the centers of the pins, in the rollers. And the first number of a roller chain, is the distance between centers in 1/8"'s.

So #40 roller chain would be 4/8" or 1/2" pitch. #60, 6/8" = 3/4" pitch, and so on.

You're probably more familiar with the term "pitch", when sizing chainsaw chain. Same thing kinda', except saw chain pitch is the size of your chain and is the measurement of the distance between any three consecutive rivets divided by two.

Thanks DJ54 but I'm still not understanding what 128 pitches would equal.I need more time to work on this.

/ Replace rusty # 40 chain #6  
DJ54 is correct on the statement about pitch. Im going out on a limb by assuming but .. . There might be a typo in the manual and instead of being "pitches" it should be "Links"
To be safe pull the guard off mark the chain with a crayon and count the links to start with. Then when you get a coil of chain take the old one off and lay it side by side to the new chain lining up the links and then break it. . . .John

Measure the distance between the pins that hold the rollers from center to center. This measurement is called pitch and is typically 1/2, or 3/8 of an inch.

Read more: How to Measure a Roller Chain | eHow.com How to Measure a Roller Chain | eHow.com

Thanks, that link helped. I'm off work today so I will remove the chains and get this figured out for sure.

I got #40 chain from TSC and the pins were the sane a 1/2 inch distance. the other I just ordered from the dealer to make sure I have it right. Thanks for the replies, and I did save the info for future use.