Bent Exhaust Stack

/ Bent Exhaust Stack #1  

Mark Page

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2615 48hp, 4wd, loader
Last fall I got too close to a walnut limb and bent my exhaust stack. It's purely cosmetic but it bothers me. Ordered a new one but it's backwards from the original. Blows exhaust across the tractor in front of me. The old one blew it to the left, away from me. I took it to the local muffler shop to see if it could be straightened. They wound up putting 2 acetalene torches on it and got it glowing cherry red/orange and could'nt straighten it. It has some kind of super duper powder coating on it that seems to be the problem.
These guys had an 8ft. pc of smaller pipe inserted into it and it would'nt give at all.
It's been suggested that I putit on the tractor and use a come along to straighten it, the logic being that if the tree limb didn't snap the exhaust manifold the come along won't either.
A new exhaust manifold is $430 + labor.
Don't know what this thing is made of but it's tough.

/ Bent Exhaust Stack #2  
just cut and reweld the 45 at the top of the new one.. problem solved.. a 45 with union flange can be had at the auto store for about 5$ if ya can't weld...

/ Bent Exhaust Stack #3  
I would not risk using a come-a-long.
I would have the muffler shop cut and turn and reweld the new exhuast.
Post pictures of the bent one.
Something steel, cone or ball shaped, slightly smaller than ID of pipe could be pounded through with the pipe heated in then bent area.

This is the reason I plan to change the 6415 to a down exhaust, which is what the 2030 has.