Broken Augur Bolt on PHD

/ Broken Augur Bolt on PHD #1  

Bill Williams

Tractor
Looking for 1
I have a used Dale Phillips Augur without a manual. I have broken the 1/2" bolt, grade 5 which locks the augur shaft to the PHD gear box. It does not appear to have a notch or hole in it and I will replace tomorrow with the same unless someone knows better. I have used this phd occasionally and am surprised it hasn't broken before. I don't want to shatter/destroy something in the tractor gearbox:confused2:

/ Broken Augur Bolt on PHD #2  
You want to use the lowest grade bolt you can find, #3 I think. I've broken any number of them and have never done any damage to the pto, drive line, PHD or augers. I keep spare bolts, a hammer and a large punch with me when using it.

/ Broken Augur Bolt on PHD #3  
I have a used Dale Phillips Augur without a manual. I have broken the 1/2" bolt, grade 5 which locks the augur shaft to the PHD gear box. It does not appear to have a notch or hole in it and I will replace tomorrow with the same unless someone knows better. I have used this phd occasionally and am surprised it hasn't broken before. I don't want to shatter/destroy something in the tractor gearbox:confused2:

A 1/2" grade 5 bolt is pretty stout. I'd a least go down to a grade 2 bolt if it's a1/2" bolt. I use 3/8" grade 2 bolts on my auger per the owners manual.