Finsish mower spindle locked

/ Finsish mower spindle locked #1  

Omnipotent

Bronze Member
So first mow of the year and dropped the mower about an inch lower than last year. While backing up a small grade left blade caught the earth and locked up. Can't free the blade by hand, am about to take apart but wondering of the spindle/hub is toast or if there is something to look for to free it up.

Thanks

/ Finsish mower spindle locked
Update. The spacer between the blade and spindle is welded together where as its supposed to spin free. Thoughts on separating? The BFH ain't working. Is the spacer threaded on the spindle as well? Can't remember.....might take the blade off another one to find out but somehow I need to free it from the spindle, then evaluate what's needed for repair.

/ Finsish mower spindle locked #3  
I was just about to look something up on my tractor and saw you post. Not sure if it helps, but I copied out a part of my manual that shows you everything on the spindle. Mine is a Woods... but it should give you a good idea.

Attachments

• mower spindle assembly.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 114
Update

Ok blade hub is now spinning free but I can't unscrew from spindle. I'm guessing from heat everything seized together. Thoughts on holding the spindle still so I can unscrew the blade hub. Isn't much to hold on to since its circular, I do know hub is RH thread but can't stabilize the spindle enough to rotate it. Going to try to lock the other blades with 2x4's or something and see if that works. Guess I'll be back with another update in awhile.

OK last update. Wasn't able to take the blade hub off the spindle, but I did free it so that it could spin freely. I checked the spindle to make sure there wasn't any play, bearings seemed fine. Buttoned it back up and finished mowing for another couple of hours with no problems. I think as long as I don't need to pull the spindle for some other reason I should be good to go.

So for now, we are back in business.