2720 Rear differential leak

/ 2720 Rear differential leak #1  

Lilgreenmachine

Tractor
2008 John Deere 2720
I bought my John Deere 2720, brand new from my local Deere dealer in the fall of 2008. I got it from them with the CX200 FEL, 46 Backhoe, and Woods 60" rotary cutter. Fast forward to fall of 2011, when I have the machine on my Cam-Superline trailer for a couple days. I noticed a small puddle underneath the rear end. After a little investigating I come to find that the bottom of the rear diff had a little hydraulic oil on it. I kept my eye on it for the next couple weeks and didn't see my level changing in the inspection port. I was able to convince myself that I had spilled some taking the hoe off or leveling off the oil level. Fast forward to about two weeks ago when I had it parked in my garage on the clean floor and sure enough two days later I had a little puddle again. Inspect underneath, same thing. At this point I know I can't fool myself, somethings up. Call the dealer and ask him if he'll take a look. No problem, bring it down. They said they would call me that afternoon to let me know what's up. EIGHT DAYS later, I still hadn't been called. I received a call that I needed to dig a line for someone so I called them to see if I could pick it up. The salesman asked me if I had gotten the message from the parts guy? No message, he didnt call. "Well, we need to crack open the rear diff, replace the seals. Bout 30 hours shop time, plus parts." Whoa. This machine has 280hrs on it. I ask him if it seems acceptable to him that a machine with 280hrs on it needs that kind of work. "Well, things happen." I ask him do they know what caused the problem? "Nope." So how do I know it isn't going to happen in another 280hrs? Another couple grand maybe? Then he says, it isn't under warranty so Deere is going to want to split it with you. I start asking questions and Deere might split it with me. A minute ago the job was on me. I feel like this is completely unacceptable from a new bought, low hour machine, from what I thought was a top shelf manufacturer. I guess I am asking if you guys agree? And if so, should I fight hard to have this covered? Is it even possible? Is this a known problem on these? Of course the dealer said it wasn't, but who knows? Faulty seals? Thanks in advance for any and all help/advice.

/ 2720 Rear differential leak #2  
There are some cases of faulty seals, but are posted as 'replace as fails' I have a '10 2520 that went in at 50 hours due to both front MFWD seals failing, spent 10 days in shop before they got word from HQ about an update.. Now has the same front as 2720 (which has 3 bearings instead of bushings) all under warranty. Often they will cover you if it is within a few months of the end of warranty as long as the hours are under.