Yanmar YM 2200 2 cylinder diesel will not start

/ Yanmar YM 2200 2 cylinder diesel will not start #1  

Bcaffee29

Tractor
Yanmar YM2200
Yanmar YM2200 will not start

* * *Im new to posting on the forums but have read them for quite a while and I'm hoping ya'll can help. I have a yanmar ym2200 with a 2 cylinder diesel engine that will not crank. I have had the tractor for about 4 years and have had very little problems. I cranked it last about 2 months ago with no problems. I have drained the fuel and replaced with new, bled the entire fuel system( lines, pump, ect.), intake is sucking air, glow plugs are getting hot, and all it does is turn over and puff black smoke. I'm lost any help would be greatly appreciated.*

Ben

/ Yanmar YM 2200 2 cylinder diesel will not start #2  
G'day and :welcome: Is your cranking speed fast enough? i.e is the battery and starter good. Black smoke means it is getting more than enough fuel and is actually burning it which is a good sign, can you give it a tow start maybe?
I would be leaning toward a slow crank, Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Try to start without air filter in it may be blocked

Jon

/ Yanmar YM 2200 2 cylinder diesel will not start #3  
Welcome to the forum! You could try a slight whiff of starting fluid to see if it will fire. Use just a small amount and make sure your engine is turning over while you give it that whiff so that glow plugs are no longer energized.

/ Yanmar YM 2200 2 cylinder diesel will not start #4  
I think that ether and glow plugs are a risky combination, but to each their own. I've used ether on diesels, but mixing it with glow plugs just seems like a bad idea.

How certain are you that both glow plugs are working? It's possible only one is heating sufficiently.

As has been suggested, charge the battery and put on jumper cables or the charger on "start" or "boost," then try it, especially after verifying the air filter is clear. I like to loosen the lines at the injectors, to make sure both dribble fuel. It purges the air a little quicker, and allows easy verification that the pump is working correctly.